Boxing: Moralde, Sabalde to collide in GenSan
MANILA, Philippines – Undefeated prospect John Vincent Moralde will face a tough domestic challenge when he meets durable southpaw Anthony Sabalde in the main event of “Brawl at the Mall: Glory” on February 13 at the Gaisano Mall Atrium in General Santos City, Philippines.
The 21-year-old Moralde (14-0, 7 knockouts) of Davao City, who is promoted by the show’s organizer Sanman Promotions, will meet his fourth opponent with a winning record in his last 5 fights in the form of Sabalde (10-4, 5 KOs), a Cebu City native from the Wakee Salud boxing stable.
The fight is scheduled for 10 rounds.
There is much at stake for Moralde, who is fighting for this third time since his tragic bout against Brayd Smith in Australia March of last year. Moralde won a unanimous decision, but the victory was overshadowed by Smith’s collapse in the dressing room and eventual death two days later.
Sanman chief Jim Claude Manangquil says the plan is to send Moralde to the United States to train with stablemate Harmonito Dela Torre, who is now based in Miami where he trains with Cuban coach Osmiri “Moro” Fernandez.
“I usually don’t take my opponent lightly. But I know I will be victorious in this fight. I have confidence with my ability that I soon be a world champion,” Moralde said in a statement released by his promoter.
Moralde recently finished another international tour of duty alongside gym partner Romero Duno, where they sparred with former WBC bantamweight titleholder Hozumi Hasegawa for 3 weeks.
Duno (8-0, 7 KOs) will also see action on the card, facing Jason Egara (21-16, 10 KOs) for the vacant Philippine Boxing Federation junior lightweight title.
The 20-year-old Duno of Cotabato City has won his last 6 fights by knockout, while Egara has lost his last 8 fights.
Manangquil says he hopes to do 7 or 8 shows in 2016, according to an event press release, while hoping to break into the Manila market. – Rappler.com