Casimero to defend flyweight title against unbeaten Edwards
MANILA, Philippines - Filipino boxer Johnriel Casimero will make the first defense of his IBF flyweight title on September 10 against unbeaten British fighter Charlie Edwards at the O2 Arena in London, England.
The news was announced by British promoter Matchroom Boxing, and was confirmed to Rappler by Casimero’s promoter Sammy Gello-ani, who says he had never heard of the 23-year-old Edwards (7-0, 3 knockouts) until international matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz had informed him of this fight, which will serve as an undercard match to unified middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin’s defense against IBF welterweight titleholder Kell Brook.
Casimero, who knocked out previously undefeated Amnat Ruenroeng in China this past May to win the title, has been at home in Ormoc City, Philippines doing light training, Gello-ani says, but will report to the Yraola Gym in Manila next week to begin serious preparations with trainer Jun Agrabio.
“This is a huge gamble for Charlie at this stage in his career but him and the team feel very confident they can beat Casimero,” said Matchroom managing director Eddie Hearn in a statement on the company’s website.
Edwards had been one of England’s top amateur boxers, winning bronze at the 2011 European Championships. He turned pro in January of 2015 and has stepped up his competition over his past 3 fights, besting domestic opposition with combined records of 32-5-2.
“Many people may think this is too early but believe me when I say this that IBF world title is coming home with me,” Edwards said in the same statement.
The 26-year-old Casimero (22-3, 14 KOs) had previously held a world title at 108 pounds, and will be fighting in his eighth different country since turning professional in 2007. – Rappler.com