Romero Duno faces experienced Mexican Sanchez on Linares-Campbell card
MANILA, Philippines - Romero Duno now has his opponent for his second fight in the United States as he faces Juan Pablo Sanchez in an 8-round junior lightweight contest at The Forum in Inglewood California on September 23.
The fight will be on the untelevised undercard of the Jorge Linares vs Luke Campbell WBA lightweight title fight, which will be broadcast in the US by HBO.
Duno (14-1, 13 knockouts) earned a promotional deal with the Oscar de la Hoya-owned Golden Boy Promotions earlier this year with his second-round knockout of previously-unbeaten Christian “Chimpa” Gonzalez in March, and followed it up with a 4-knockdown drubbing of overmatched Jason Tinampay in June.
He’s been at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles for the past two months working with trainer Rodel Mayol, a former WBC junior flyweight champion, who his Philippine promoter Jim Claude Manangquil says has helped improve his fundamentals and jab.
“He is throwing straight punches and matured a lot,” says Manangquil, who handles Duno in the Philippines alongside partner Dexter Tan.
Sanchez (30-13, 14 KOs) has not fought since July of 2016 and has lost two of his last 3 in decisions to decent competition, Rene Alvarado and Antonio Moran. The 29-year-old from Huimanguillo, Mexico will be fighting outside of his home country for the first time. And despite his 8 knockout losses, Manangquil expects him to be a tougher foe to topple than Gonzalez.
“Honestly for me this is a tougher test than Gonzalez for Duno. We saw Sanchez fight and he is great boxer. Duno should not take lightly and Duno knows that as he is training very hard for this,” says Manangquil.
The fight will be televised on slight delay by TV5 in the Philippines, Manangquil says. – Rappler.com