Pacquiao '90%' sure he'll face Broner in January 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine boxing idol Manny Pacquiao said a January fight in the United States with American Adrien Broner is almost certain, but he dodged the mounting speculation of a possible rematch with rival Floyd Mayweather.
Pacquiao, 39, pumped new life into his storied but slowing boxing career in July when he delivered his first knockout in 9 years in a bout against Lucas Matthysse of Argentina.
But at a charity function late Wednesday, October 17, in Manila, Pacquiao told reporters, "Broner, Adrien Broner."
He added that he preferred to face the former four-division world champion on either January 12 or 19, "probably" in Las Vegas.
"It is almost final, but it is not yet there," Pacquiao said, adding that the match was "90%" likely to push through.
However, no concrete plans have emerged for that contest and Mayweather subsequently said he would be back "for a huge boxing event" in Tokyo before fighting Pacquiao.
Asked at the event Wednesday if another bout with Mayweather is in the offing, Pacquiao said "it is not yet finalized."
Ahead of the fight against big-punching Matthysse, Pacquiao said he considered himself the "underdog," but he rolled back the years in the July bout.
It was a dominant display as Pacquiao registered the 60th win of a fabled 23-year career that is now nearly sure to extend beyond his 40th birthday in December.
Pacquiao, who is also a senator in the Philippines, lost his World Boxing Organization welterweight title to unfancied Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane last year. – Rappler.com