Boxing: Danny Garcia, Lamont Peterson set for Brooklyn title defenses
NEW YORK - Undefeated Danny Garcia and rival world champion Lamont Peterson will defend their junior welterweight crowns on August 9, promoters announced Tuesday, while Danny Jacobs seeks his first world title on the undercard.
The fight card at Brooklyn's Barclays Center is topped by World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Association (WBA) champion Garcia (28-0, 16 knockouts) of Philadelphia, Pa. facing Rod Salka (19-3, 3 KOs) of Bunola, Pa.
"I'll be ready," Garcia said. "I'll give my fans another great show."
Peterson, 32-2 with one drawn and 16 knockouts, defends the International Boxing Federation version of the crown against New Yorker Edgar Santana, 29-4 with 20 knockouts.
Neither Garcia or Peterson are expected to have much difficulty with their unheralded opponents.
Santana, 35, has won three straight fights since losing a decision to Manuel Perez after serving four months in prison for his role in a cocaine trafficking ring. Salka, 31, lost a majority decision in December to Ricardo Alvarez but rebounded with a win over unbeaten Alexei Collado in April.
Peterson has had difficulties to overcome as well. The Washington D.C. native tested positive for a banned substance before a scheduled rematch with Amir Khan in 2012, canceling the fight and earning Peterson a suspension.
Peterson then lost a third-round technical knockout to Lucas Matthysse but was allowed to keep his IBF title as the fight was scheduled for above the 140-pound limit.
As much as Peterson and Garcia are out to keep their crowns, they figure to set the stage for a future showdown for the undisputed world championship.
"I'm really excited about this fight and about making a statement to the boxing world that I'm the true junior welterweight world champion," Peterson said. "I know Danny will be watching me and I'll be watching him. After August 9, there will be only one fight to make at 140 pounds."
Brooklyn-based fighter Daniel Jacobs, 27-1 with 24 knockouts, has five knockout wins after returning from a 19-month layoff while fighting cancer.
He will fight 2008 Aussie Olympian Fletcher, 18-1 with 10 knockouts, for the vacant WBA middleweight championship.
"This whole comeback has been a dream so far, and what better way to keep it going than with a world title fight?" said Jacobs. "This is the fight I've been waiting for and no one will keep me from that belt."
Fletcher is on a six-fight win streak.
"I know that the hometown crowd will be in Jacob's corner, but that's fine," Fletcher said. "I intend on having my hand raised." - Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.