Football: 5 facts on Real Madrid
DORTMUND, Germany – Five facts on Real Madrid who reached the Champions League semi-finals on Tuesday by beating Borussia Dortmund of Germany:
1. The kings of European football were founded in 1902 as Madrid Football club. They became Real Madrid after earning a royal stamp of approval in 1920 from King Alfonso XIII. The royal crown is part of their team logo.
2. Real has won a record 9 European Cup and Champions League titles (1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002). They have not reached the final since though.
They have also been Spanish champions 32 times, won the Copa del Rey 18 times, the UEFA Cup twice, European Super Cup once and the Intercontinental Cup 3 times.
3. Real was named the world's richest football club in the Deloitte rankings for a record ninth straight time in January, despite winning no titles last season. They had total revenue of $702 million in the last financial year, $47 million ahead of Spanish rivals Barcelona in second.
4. Known most commonly as Los Merengues ('the meringues') for their all-white strip, some also call them Los Blancos (the whites).
5. A legion of famous players have shone at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, from the post-war generation of Alfredo di Stefano and Ferenc Puskas to the 'galacticos' of the early 2000s and the present generation of superstars Cristiano Ronaldo and Xabi Alonso and Gareth Bale. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.