Tennis

Naomi Osaka pulls out of Melbourne semifinal

Reuters
Naomi Osaka pulls out of Melbourne semifinal

GETTING READY. Naomi Osaka hopes to be back in top form in the Australian Open.

Loren Elliott/Reuters

Former world No. 1 Naomi Osaka withdraws, saying her ‘body got a shock from playing back-to-back intense matches’ after returning from a tennis break

MELBOURNE, Australia – Top-seeded Naomi Osaka pulled out of her Melbourne Summer Set 1 WTA event semifinal against Veronika Kudermetova on Saturday, January 8, citing the intensity of recent games as cause for her withdrawal.

“Sad to withdraw due to injury from my match today, my body got a shock from playing back-to-back intense matches after the break I took,” Osaka said on Twitter.

“I’ll try to rest up and I’ll see you soon!”

Four-time Grand Slam champion Osaka beat German Andrea Petkovic, 6-1, 7-5, in the quarterfinal on Friday, less than two weeks out from the start of the Australian Open.

The Japanese former world No. 1  has struggled for form since withdrawing from the French Open in May following a row with tournament officials over required media appearances, which she said had a negative impact on her.

Osaka also pulled out of a warm-up event in the buildup to last year’s Australian Open with “a niggling injury.” – Rappler.com