Jeremy Lin’s hopes of an NBA comeback this season has officially come to an end as the former New York Knicks star failed to get a call-up prior to the start of this year’s playoffs.
The 32-year-old Lin spoke about his journey leading into the “final deadline” for his NBA call-up in an emotional social media post on Tuesday, May 18 (Wednesday, May 19, Manila time).
“May 16th. In my mind was an imaginary circle around this date for an NBA call-up. The final deadline,” wrote Lin.
“I gave up a season overseas to go down to the G League – a move few vets dare make. I’ve always known I need to jump through extra hoops to prove I belong so this was par for the course.”
“I’m really proud of what I accomplished – I killed it in the G League and objectively showed it being a league leader in all categories a [point guard] should and shooting career-highs across the board.”
Earlier this year, Lin suited up for the Santa Cruz Warriors in the G League, where he led the team to a semifinal finish. He ended up 7th in league scoring, averaging 19.8 points on a very efficient 50.5% shooting, along with 6.4 assists and 3.2 rebounds.
However, despite proving that he still has what it takes to get back in the NBA, Lin was the only player among the top 11 scorers from the G League bubble who did not get to sign an NBA contract this season.
“For months, I saw others get contracts, chances, opportunities. I told myself I just need one 10-day contract, one chance to get back on the floor and I would blow it out the water. After all that’s how my entire career started – off one chance to prove myself,” Lin said.
“For reasons I’ll never fully know, that chance never materialized.”
Lin, who rose to unprecedented fame during his “Linsanity” run in 2012 with the New York Knicks, last played in the NBA in 2019 as part of the historic Toronto Raptors championship squad. – Rappler.com