LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – “Kembot Davao! Kembot Davao! (Shake it, Davao! Shake it, Davao!)”
Spectators yelled non-stop at the track oval in the BU-Albay Sports and Tourism Complex as they were entertained by the athlete from Davao Region who won gold in the boys 2000-meter walk – a demonstration sport – during the 2016 Palarong Pambansa Saturday, April 16 here.
Jomar Angga, 17, displayed graceful struts that turned the audience wild and boisterous.
He recorded 11:17.10 seconds to grab first place. He was followed by Rey Jun Tamparong of Caraga with 11:31.61 and Francis James San Gabriel of Ilocos Region, 11:58.42.
In the first two laps, San Gabriel led his opponents while Angga was a consistent walker in third place.
But because of his eye-catching gait, Angga stole the audience’s attention. The crowd support, he said, contributed to his burst of speed and agility.
“Alam ko pong ako ang tsini-cheer nila kaya lalo kong binilisan. Kahit nahuli ako noong mga naunang ikot, hindi ako na-tense para hindi ako ma-DQ (disqualify),” he said. (I know they are cheering for me, that’s why I was pushed to walk faster. Even if I was behind in the first couple of laps, I did not allow myself to tense up and to avoid getting disqualified.)
Angga, who is openly gay, admitted he sometimes experiences bullying, which he says doesn’t bother him.
Instead, being gay gives him confidence to join various activities in his school.
“Para kina nanay at tatay po ang medal ko (My medal is for my mother and father),” he said.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- Palaro Bicolano brothers play basketball for OFW mom and diabetic dad
- Palaro torch student-designer sells paintings to sustain schooling
- Albay teacher spends own money to train PWD athletes for Palaro
- Mimaropa swimmer juggles student-athlete-breadwinner roles
- Palaro baller Ry Dela Rosa hopes to follow in family’s PBA footsteps
RECAPS AND MEDAL TALLIES:
- NCR wins 12th straight overall Palarong Pambansa crown
- 8 records fall at Palaro 2016
- NCR cops secondary boys football title in heated Palaro final
- NCR trounces Calabarzon for back-to-back secondary girls volleyball title
- Calabarzon defeats Central Luzon to win Palaro secondary basketball title
- Janel Maraguinot, sis of Ateneo’s Jhoana, is Palaro Best Setter
- Negros Island earns bronze in secondary girls volleyball
- Central Visayas sweeps NCR to retain Palaro badminton doubles title
- Mimaropa bags gold in Palaro elementary boys double takraw
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year’s Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.