Olympics Day 10: Image of the day
It was one of the most exciting football games in the history of the Olympics.
Our image of the day captures a rightfully sorrowful Canadian player's face after a heartbreaking loss to the USA.
The United States advanced to the final of the Olympic women's football tournament on Monday, August 6 after an Alex Morgan goal in the last minute of extra-time clinched a dramatic 4-3 victory over Canada.
In one of the most extraordinary matches in the history of the tournament, the American women came from behind three times to level at 3-3 in 90 minutes before Morgan's 120th-minute clincher at Old Trafford.
Canada -- who had taken the lead three times thanks to a magnificent hat-trick from captain and striker Christine Sinclair -- were left shattered by the agonizing nature of the loss.
The United States will now play Japan in Thursday's final at Wembley in a rematch of last year's women's World Cup final won by the Asian giants. - Agence-France Presse
For more on the Olympics, visit the Olympics: London 2012 Microsite.
For more about the happenings in the Olympics, read:
- Team PH is out of Olympics
- Sex in the Olympics
- China on top after more golds
- No finals for Pistorious, makes history anyway
- Bolt is still fastest in the world
- Michael Phelps defends Olympic 100m butterfly title
- Tearful Olympic fencer refuses to leave after controversial loss
- Filipino weightlifter unexpectedly eliminated, Pinoys tweet support
- Filipino performer recounts opening ceremonies
- London Olympics open