WATCH: Inside the #Palaro2016 main venue
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Fire trucks pump water into swimming pools, students and officials practice for the opening ceremony, competing student-athletes put in last-minute practices, while visitors take selfies in every corner.
Those are some of the scenes inside the Albay Sports and Tourism Complex on Saturday, April 9, the even of the 59th Palarong Pambansa.
The atmosphere is vibrant and buzzing with excitement in anticipation of the week-long competitions.
Basketball and football have already started while the other sports will commence on Sunday, April 10.
A total of 18 regions – including the newly-formed Negros Island Region – will compete in 21 sports disciplines and will vie for over a thousand medals.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- Who are the #FacesOfPalaro?
- Record-breaking runner from Davao gets offers from UCLA, USC
- Davao trackster bags first gold in Palaro 2016
- Central Visayas athlete aims to make his overseas dad happy
- Palaro's first PWD torchbearer shows sports binds all
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
Click here to read more stories on Palarong Pambansa 2018