NCR maintains lead as Caraga, Mimaropa struggle
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Eleven-time champion National Capital Region (NCR) maintains its hold of the lead with 19 golds, 11 silvers, and 8 bronzes at the close of Day 2 of the 2016 Palarong Pambansa in this city.
Calabarzon is a far second with a 12-6-13 medal haul, while Western Visayas trails behind with 10 golds, 9 silvers and 5 bronzes.
Caraga is struggling to break through with just two bronze medals after two days of competition. Mimaropa likewise has only one silver and 4 bronzes. Other regions still searching for an elusive gold are last year's last-place finisher Ilocos Region (3 silvers, two bronzes) and Zamboanga Peninsula (two silvers, 3 bronzes).
Calabarzon's Jerick Mendoza broke an 18-year record in elementary boys javelin throw, notching a distance of 57.50 meters, smashing Jonah Robles' 51.88 meters in 1998.
Even silver medalist Jan Mervin Francisco, also from Calabarzon, and bronze medalist Melvin Lacson of Bicol Region bested the record with 54.15 and 51.92 meters, respectively.
The swimming competitions commenced in Day 2 with NCR dominating to claim 7 gold medals.
View the results per sport on the Department of Education's official Palaro website here.
Below is the medal tally as of Tuesday, April 12 at 10:15 pm.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
Click here to read more stories on Palarong Pambansa 2018