Central Visayas sweeps NCR to retain Palaro badminton doubles title
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – With their powerful smashes and astounding coordination, Central Visayas’ Tricia Merced Opon and Elloise Marie Canillo have won back-to-back championships for the secondary badminton girls doubles category in the 2016 Palarong Pambansa on Friday, April 15 here.
Opon, 16, and Canillo, 15, hacked out a 21-17, 21-19 win against National Capital Region’s (NCR) Chanelle Lunod and Pauline Santos.
Opon’s hairpin net shots and Canillo’s striking kills overwhelmed NCR, 12-6, early in the first set. A stiff rally occurred later on but Central Visayas took the opening set with their sheer determination.
The second frame was a tight affair as the two teams uncorked smashing shots.
Despite Lunod and Santos’ feints, Canillo and Opon managed to maintain their focus and strategy and eventually won the game with a wood shot.
“Hindi namin inisip na porket mas malaki sila ay magpapatalo na kami (We did not let them beat us despite the fact that they’re bigger than us),” Canillo said.
This is the sixth year that Central Visayas has competed against NCR bets in badminton at Palaro.
When asked about their message to those Filipino athletes who aim for a gold medal in the Palaro, Opon said, “Magtrain sila ng maayos, mag-aral at mag-pray (They should keep training, study well and always pray).”
Calabarzon and Central Luzon are tied for bronze. – Joshua Caleb P. Pacleta/Rappler.com
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
The extra mile
We are passionate about sports. Whether its a university, local, or international event, we aim to always to go above and beyond with our news, features, and analysis.
However, reader support powers our content. We ask you to take on the extra mile with us.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will receive special editorial newsletters, industry reports, and invites to exclusive briefings.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.
Click here to read more stories on Palarong Pambansa 2018