Being UFC fighter hasn’t sunk in yet, says Jenel Lausa

MANILA, Philippines – Jenel Lausa remains on Cloud 9 as the Filipino fighter still could not get over the fact that he is now part of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s official roster. 

Lausa inked a lucrative contract with the world’s premier mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion earlier this month that will guarantee him 4 fights under the UFC banner for 20 months. 

According to Lausa, the fact that he is now a UFC fighter has not fully sunk in as the 28-year-old native of Concepcion, Iloilo, had thought that it was a far-fetched dream. 

“Honestly, I can’t still believe it. It all started as a dream. Now, I am here. It’s still surreal. You won’t be able to measure my happiness right,” he ecstatically told Rappler. 

Lausa made his maiden appearance as a certified member of the UFC locker room by hosting an open workout on Saturday, September 17 along with No. 3-ranked UFC featherweight contender Max Holloway.

The soon-to-be former Pacific Xtreme Combat flyweight titleholder admitted that he is overwhelmed with the warm reception from the local die-hard MMA fans. 

“I never expected to have this kind of reception. It’s overwhelming. At the same time, this experience keeps me focused and motivated,” Lausa said.

Knowing that the honeymoon stage will eventually end sooner than expected, Lausa is now putting all of his attention on the task ahead of him. 

Lausa is set to make his highly-anticipated debut against Chinese combatant Yao Zhikui in a 3-round flyweight bout on the undercard of UFC Fight Night Manila 2, which takes place at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City on October 15. 

In his first assignment as a UFC competitor, Lausa seeks to accomplish a statement-making victory over Yao, who has already fought thrice inside the Octagon.

“If an opportunity to finish him presents itself, I will go for it. If not, I will make sure to win in decisive fashion,” he said. – Rappler.com