Note7 unit explodes in 6-year-old boy's hands – report
MANILA, Philippines – Reports about Samsung Galaxy Note7 units exploding and causing damage continue to surface since the Korean phone-maker recalled the model.
Among the most recent is that of a 6-year-old boy from New York who was allegedly injured when a Note7 exploded in his hand. A report by the New York Post said that the boy had been using the phone at home, Saturday night, September 10, when the phone suddenly caught fire on its own. The boy reportedly suffered burns to his body.
"The child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded," the New York Post quotes the boy's grandmother, Linda Lewis. She is also quoted to have said that the incident set off alarms in her house. The boy is said to be back home now after a trip to the hospital.
The incident adds to a number of Internet stories pertaining to damage caused by Samsung's beleagured flagship device. Time featured a story about a car in the US being set on fire, while Gizmodo shared a story about hotel room damages in Australia amounting to US $1400.
While the number of incidents seems few, it's still more than what people should expect out of a phone. Phones shouldn't explode; it's a minimum requirement, not a special feature. If you own one of these, Samsung strongly advises to power the devices down immediately and have them replaced.
Samsung Philippines earlier released details of the Note7 replacement program in the country. Airlines operating in the Philippines such as PAL, Cebu Pacific, and AirAsia have barred the use and charging of the said devices aboard the plane. – Rappler.com