13 rumored iPhone 8 details solidified by iOS 11 leak
MANILA, Philippines – Days before the reveal of Apple's newest iPhones, a new leak came out confirming many of the phone's rumored details.
The details were contained within the gold master code of the new iPhones' new operating system, iOS 11. The code, residing on Apple servers itself, was technically available for download by anyone on the internet, but the URLs to the download resource were said to have been long and unknowable – that is unless a person who knows the URLs leaked them.
An anonymous source confirmed to BBC that that's what had happened. (READ: 20 rumored specs and features of the next iPhone)
A gold master is a version of the software that publishers believe are ready to ship commercially.
The URLs were leaked to dedicated Apple news sites 9to5Mac and MacRumors by a supposedly "disgruntled employee." Apple has yet to officially comment on the major leak, but analysts believe that the company is going to exert great effort to root out the inside leaker.
Analysts also say, however, that the leak does little to negatively affect prospective sales for the new device or to dampen the excitement for the September 12 announcement.
As published by 9to5Mac and MacRumors, here are some of the rumored iPhone 8 and X details that the new leak either introduces or further solidifies:
- It will have a "Portrait Lighting" feature that allows for software-powered lighting enhancements designed for portrait shots.
- While more powerful, the Apple A11 chip will still have 6 cores like the A10.
- 240fps slow-mo at full HD (1920x1080) plus a variety of new 4K video recording modes will be included.
- A True Tone Display, first seen in iPad Pros and adjusts white balance according to ambient lighting.
- An 18.5:9 aspect ratio like the Samsung Galaxy S8's. The official resolution will be at 2436 x 1125 pixels.
- Face ID, which replaces the Touch ID fingerprint recognition feature for phone locking-unlocking. The technology will be powered by new front-facing 3D sensors that analyze and map out the face.
- Also confirmed: the new screen design where a portion of the top bar juts out – first seen in the earlier HomePod leak.
- "Animojis" arrive, which are animated emojis that can use facial tracking and voice to create animated messages.
- Apple will also be introducing slightly redesigned AirPods, its wireless earphones first released last year.
- The home button is truly gone, replaced by an on-screen line at the bottom that can have dynamic functions. By pulling the line or the bar, you can summon the home screen while a longer pull will bring up the app switcher.
- With the home button gone, the power or phone lock button (but officially known as the side button) can be long-pressed to summon Apple assistant Siri, among other home button-like functions.
- The new iPhones will have wireless charging.
- The phones will be named iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.
ChargingViewService confirms wireless charging. It will even show some 3D animations when charging (not present in GM tho) pic.twitter.com/JLBd4HQLpS— Guilherme Rambo (@_inside) September 10, 2017
iPhone 8— Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 9, 2017
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X pic.twitter.com/OVLfhLxTdT
Tech sleuths also discovered that iOS 11 will be coming with new wallpapers and that a new Apple watch that's LTE-enabled may be announced.
You can watch the Apple iPhone 8 and X event here on Wednesday, September 13, at 1 am, Manila time. – Rappler.com