Samsung to issue global Galaxy Note7 recall – report

MANILA, Philippines – The highly anticipated flagship from Samsung, the Galaxy Note7, faces a bump on the road as reports of an imminent worldwide recall surface.

The decision to recall the units comes after reports of the Note7's alleged tendency to explode while being charged – said to be caused by the battery, according to South Korea's Yonhap News Agency.

The devices arrived in several countries Friday, August 19. In the Philippines, the Note7 was originally set for an August 20 release, but local Samsung representatives told us prior to that day that the release date had been moved. 

The recall will supposedly affect all units sold "at home and abroad," according to Yonhap, citing an interview with an unnamed Samsung official. 

The Samsung official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: "Global discussions are under way about matters such as how to deal with products delivered to dealers. Results of the investigation and relevant countermeasures will be made public this weekend or early next week at the latest."

Aside from the anticipated recall, the tech giant has made it clear that it will be transparent with the results of its investigation. The Note7 is a crucial product in Samsung's lineup, and how the company deals with an issue like this is likely to have an effect on consumer perception.

According to the same official, the "problematic battery account for less than 0.1% of the entire volume sold," and that the "problem can be resolved by changing the battery, but we'll come up with convincing measures for our consumers."

This is a developing story. We are reaching out to Samsung Philippines for a comment. – Rappler.com

Gelo Gonzales

Gelo Gonzales is Rappler’s technology editor. He covers consumer electronics, social media, emerging tech, and video games.

image