#ThewRap: Things you need to know, September 8, 2017

Hello! Here are the stories you shouldn't miss this Friday.

Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte and President Duterte's son-in-law Atty. Mans Carpio attend thr Senate hearing on the P6.4B BOC shabu smuggling on September 7, 2017. Photo by Joseph Vidal/Rappler

%

%

%

%

%

%

%

%

Hello!

Good morning!

President Rodrigo Duterte's son Paolo Duterte and son-in-law Manases Carpio finally appeared at the Senate hearing on drug smuggling, where they were accused by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV of having at least a hundred million pesos in their respective bank accounts. Trillanes also alleged that Paolo is a member of a Chinese organized crime group. Paolo and Carpio have denied all allegations.

In the drug war, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced that it will no longer probe the cases of slain teenagers Carl Arnaiz and Reynaldo de Guzman. Instead, police will back "whatever result" the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) will find, following the President's order for the NBI to take over to ensure an impartial investigation.

Meanwhile, another young teen was found dead in Baguio, after he had been missing for 6 days. The boy was 17 years old. No details have yet been made available about his death.

After the series of murders of young boys, Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle appealed to the country's leaders to stop the rampant killings in President Duterte's war on drugs.

Other stories include Secretary Martin Andanar's reaction to Assistant Secretary Mocha Uson's performances in casinos; an update on Malacañang's relationship with the Left; and the dismissed class suit over the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.

Here are the stories you shouldn't miss this Friday.

Paolo Duterte, Mans Carpio have millions in accounts – Trillanes

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV says he plans to file a case against the presidential son over his alleged ill-gotten wealth. He also accused Paolo Duterte of being a member of a Chinese triad. Paolo and Carpio have denied all allegations.

Cardinal Tagle: 'We cannot govern the nation by killing'

'We cannot allow the destruction of lives to become normal,' Cardinal Tagle says in his strongest written statement against drug war killings

PNP leaves Carl Arnaiz, Reynaldo de Guzman probe up to NBI

Police will only assist the National Bureau of Investigation in gathering evidence, says the PNP spokesman

After CA rejections, Duterte admin still 'open' to Left – Malacañang

The Duterte administration wants an agreement with the Left to smoothen out their 'complicated' relationship, says Presidential Spokesman Ernesto Abella

Andanar to 'discourage' Mocha Uson from performing in casinos

Malacañang says PCOO officials must comply with the prohibition and says it is up to Secretary Andanar to address the issue

Missing Grade 12 boy from Baguio found dead in a creek

Vaughn Dicang went missing on September 1. The details of his case remain unclear.

US court dismisses class suit over Pacquiao-Mayweather fight

The judge says that while court is sympathetic to the fact that many boxing fans felt deceived by the statements and omissions made by the fight’s participants and promoters, 'the proper remedy for such unscrupulous behavior when it implicates the core of athletic competition is not a legal one.'

Subscribe to The Daily wRap