MANILA, Philippines—It’s been a news-filled two weeks. These stories speak for themselves. Here is your world in photos from July 1 to July 13, 2013.
1. If a picture can indeed paint a thousand words, then this photo posted by NBA star Kobe Bryant says a lot, not for its aesthetics but more for the timing of when it was posted. It’s no secret that the LA Lakers wanted free agent center Dwight Howard to stay with them, even telling the young big man that if he wants to “get it done” and win a championship he should stick with LA. But after formally announcing his decision to sign with the Houston Rockets, the Lakers star, who recently adopted the monicker Vino, quickly posted this photo of him and forward/center Pau Gasol – his co-star in the last two NBA championships he won back in 2009 and 2010.
2. It’s Lady Liberty’s 126th birthday and America’s 237th. The historic landmark opened for business once again after Superstorm Sandy slammed into New York City and caused extensive damage.
Statue of Liberty photo from Shutterstock
3. A year later, another revolution.Egypt overthrows its first democratically elected president after only a year in office. Anti-Morsi protestors filled Tahrir once again, a throwback to the ouster of Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
4. Asiana Airlines Boeing 777, flight 214, crash-landed into the runway of San Francisco International Airport on July 6. Witnesses described the accident scene as a black ball of smoke.
5. That same day, a train bursted into flames in Lac Megantic, Canada. At least 28 people died.
6. Minion mania hits social media! The loveable little monsters begin take over the real world.
7. We pass them by all the time. Do we ever really pay attention? Lee Jeffries is a self-taught artist and takes these compelling photos of the lives of the homeless around the world.
8. Signed, sealed and delivered. The MILF-GPH ended their #PeaceTalks in Kuala Lumpur with a signed compromise on a wealth sharing agreement. Finally.