Gameplan: How to recover after a hard training and racing
MANILA, Philippines — After a hard training session or race, certain things happen inside the body: muscle tissue breakdown, depletion of energy stores (or muscle glycogen), and loss of fluid. Coach Ani de Leon recommends the following steps so you can recover properly and avoid burnout:
1. As you end your workout, do a 10-15 minute cool down.
2. Take a recovery drink within 15 minutes after the race or hard workout. A drink with a 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio is recommended.
3. Ice, stretch or use recovery tools like foam rollers, massage sticks and myo release balls to lower relax and release tight muscles.
4. Eat a healthy meal within 1 to 2 hours. The right nutrition post workout will replenish glycogen stores, repairs muscle damage, and replenishes fluid loss.
5. The day after, do a low intensity workout: 10-30 mins of light walking, spinning, swimming or a light jog. – Rappler.com