The wRap Indonesia: New ojek app, fires in Riau

Rappler.com
The wRap Indonesia: New ojek app, fires in Riau
Forest fires in Riau are back, Jakarta has a new ojek app, and other top news from Indonesia and around the world.

JAKARTA, Indonesia – From President Joko Widodo critcizing a tourism event, to the Indonesian team winning the women’s doubles title at the Korean Open, here’s the top news to start your day.

1. Fires in Riau

The Riau forest fires are burning yet again.

The forest fires in Pelalawan, Riau, had already been extinguished for several days, but was back on fire over the weekend. The fire was so strong however, that the Regional Disaster Management Agency team sent to battle the fires were forced to withdraw. Officials say it is not the drought that caused the region to burn again, but it was a deliberate attempt by arsonists. Read more.

2. New ojek app

And another ojek app hits the market.

Blu-Jek launched in Jakarta on Friday, September 18. The service, started by Garret Kartono and Michael Manuhutu, has several characteristics that differ from its predecessors GrabBike and Go-Jek – aside from its blue color, of course! Read more.

3. Jokowi criticizes tourism event

President Joko Widodo attended a tourism event over the weekend but he was not impressed with what he saw.

Sail Tomini, a showcase of the biodiversity of Tomini Bay to the world, aimed to promote its potential to become a world marine tourism destination in three provinces. But Jokowi on Saturday, September 19, said there were many things that could’ve been improved during the weekend event from the marketing to the dance choreography of the performers. Read more.

4. Indonesia wins women’s doubles

The Korea Open ended Sunday, September 20, with Indonesia walking away with one of the coveted badminton titles.

Two games were enough for Indonesian sixth seeds Nitya Krishinda Maheswari and Greysia Polii who won the women’s doubles title, to defeat South Korea’s Chang Ye-Na and Lee So-Hee 21-15, 21-18. Read more.

5. Mecca landslide

Two people were injured in a landslide accident in Mecca on Friday, September 18. The Saudi Arabian government immediately launched an investigation.

Local authorities said that the landslide caused a four-storey building collapsed in Batha Quraish and wounded a man and a woman. Religious Affairs Minister Saifuddin Lukman said no Indonesians were injured in the incident that comes after the deadly crane accident at the Grand Mosque which killed 107, including some Indonesians. Read more. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.