Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *
province *

why we ask about location

Please provide your email address

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

How often would you like to pay?

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Nigerian police claim release of one kidnapped schoolgirl

ABUJA, Nigeria – Nigeria's police on Thursday, September 25, claimed that one of more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram militants nearly 6 months ago had been found, but elders rejected the claim.

National police spokesman Emmanuel Ojokwu said the girl was "dropped off by suspected Boko Haram militants at Mubi in Adamawa state" at about 5:00 pm (1600 GMT) on Wednesday.

"The information we have is that she is one of the abducted girls. Other details will be made known to you in due course," he said, adding the girl was aged 20 and receiving medical treatment.

But Enoch Mark, an elder from the kidnapped schoolgirls' hometown of Chibok in northeast Borno state, told Agence France-Presse that the name the girl gave was not among the 219 missing.

"Her name is not on the list so we don't know," said Mark, who had seen the girl in the Adamawa state capital, Yola.

"She's in trauma. She couldn't speak. We picked her up in the bush. We suspected that she was one of the abducted girls. But she's not from Chibok. The police officer made a mistake."

Mark suggested that the girl was local to Mubi and had now been handed over to military personnel in Yola.

The mass abduction in Chibok triggered global condemnation and a social media campaign that forced the Nigerian government into accepting foreign help to locate their whereabouts.

Nearly 6 months on and despite the country's military claiming that they had located the girls, they are still being held captive.

Talks between the government and the militants about a possible prisoner swap for the hostages have stalled.

Hopes were raised on Tuesday when the military in Abuja initially confirmed reports that 37 of the missing girls had been released, only to retract its statement moments later.

Mark, whose own daughter is among the captives, two other Chibok elders and a Borno state government official said at the time that although the 37 were from the town, they were not from those still missing.

Instead, they were being taken under military escort to Kaduna state to continue their schooling. – Rappler.com