Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *

Please provide your email address

welcome to Rappler

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Use password?

Login with email

Reset password?

Please use the email you used to register and we will send you a link to reset your password

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue resetting your password. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

Join Move

How often would you like to pay?

Annual Subscription

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

welcome to Rappler+

welcome to Move

welcome to Move & Rappler+

PH-based abductors demand $11M for Chinese victim

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Kidnappers based in the southern Philippines have demanded more than $11 million (P487,905,000) in ransom for a Chinese tourist abducted from a Malaysian dive resort, a senior minister said on Thursday, April 10. (READ: Kidnappers contact family)

Malaysian Home Minister Zahid Hamidi told Agence France-Presse the family of Gao Huayun, who was kidnapped by gunmen on April 2 along with a Filipina resort worker, are negotiating with her abductors through an intermediary.

"The kidnappers have asked for 36.4 million ringgit ($11.25 million). Gao's family has appointed someone to negotiate for her safe release," Zahid said, whose ministry handles internal security and law enforcement.

"We hope this case can be settled as soon as possible."

He gave no further details.

Taken

Gao, who is 29, and Filipina resort worker Marcy Dayawan, 40, were taken from the Singamata Reef Resort in Malaysia's Borneo island state of Sabah in a late-night raid by a group of gunmen. (READ: Abu Sayyaf link?)

The area of eastern Sabah is famed for its world-class scuba diving but also notorious for lawlessness and kidnappings blamed on bandits from the Muslim southern Philippines.

The Philippine military said last week the Abu Sayyaf, a small band of Islamic militants infamous for kidnappings for ransom, are the prime suspects.

It said the Philippines had responded by deploying soldiers to the remote Tawi-Tawi islands, where the gunmen were believed to have taken the women in a speedboat.

Philippine authorities said they had no knowledge of the ransom negotiations.

The abductors are believed affiliated with Abu Sayyaf "sub-commander" Murphy Ambang Ladjia, who was involved in kidnapping 21 people from another Sabah diving resort in 2000.

20 of those hostages – several of whom were foreign tourists – were released within five months, reportedly after hefty ransoms were paid.

A Filipino captive was held until 2003.

Malaysia said at the weekend that Gao's family in China had been contacted by telephone by her kidnappers.

The episode has further strained China-Malaysia relations already tested over the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

The plane vanished on March 8 with 239 people aboard -- two-thirds of them Chinese -- and Chinese relatives of passengers have harshly accused Malaysian authorities of ineptitude and a cover-up in the failure to find the jet.

An Australian-led effort now searching in the remote Indian Ocean is seeking to pinpoint the source of underwater signals believed to be from the plane's data recorders.

China pressed Malaysia last week to rescue Gao and ensure the safety of Chinese nationals.

Zahid said Malaysia would take steps further to increase security in Sabah.

The government ramped up security last year after a bizarre incursion by Filipino Muslim militants that left dozens dead, and subsequently declared eastern Sabah safe for tourism.

Zahid insisted the security effort is "not a failure." Rappler.com