Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *
province *

why we ask about location

Please provide your email address


To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

How often would you like to pay?

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

2nd survivor found as typhoon nears Japan ship site

Japanese authorities racing to find dozens of missing sailors from a cargo ship that sank in a typhoon found a second survivor – another Filipino crew member – on Friday, September 4, as another, much more powerful storm drew near.

Philippine Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Saturday, September 5, identified the second survivor as Jay-Nel Rosales.

There were 43 people on board the Gulf Livestock 1, 39 of them Filipinos. So far, two people – both Filipinos – have been rescued.

The Gulf Livestock 1, which was carrying 6,000 cows, issued a distress call early Wednesday, September 2, as Typhoon Maysak passed through the area, setting off a desperate search for the 43 crew on board.

The first to be rescued was Edvardo Sareno, a 45-year-old Filipino chief officer, who was found on Wednesday evening, with the body of a second crew member recovered at sea early Friday.

But the coast guard said they found a second survivor on Friday afternoon, a 30-year-old Filipino later identifed as Rosales, who was spotted in a life raft several kilometers from Kodakarajima, a remote island in southwestern Japan.

Rosales, identified as a deckhand, was reached by a patrol boat and was alone in the raft. He was able to walk unassisted, the coast guard said.

The first survivor from the ship told rescuers he had put on a life jacket and jumped into the sea after a warning announcement on board.

Sareno said one of the boat's engines had stalled and the vessel was overturned by a powerful wave before eventually sinking.

Precisely when and where it sank remained unclear.

Dramatic footage of Wednesday's rescue showed Sareno bobbing in the open ocean in an orange lift jacket and rescuers battling violent waves to pull him on to their boat with a rope.

After he was moved to a larger boat and wrapped with blankets, he asked for water and thanked his rescuers.

"I am the only one? No other one?" Sareno asked.

The ship is believed to have been caught up in Typhoon Maysak, which moved through the area with gusts of up to 160 kilometers per hour.

But Haishen is a much stronger storm, and is expected to affect Japan from late Saturday, September 5, with winds of up to 290 kilometers per hour (180 miles per hour), making it a "violent" storm – the top level on Japan's classification scale.

'Water started coming in'

There has been little sign so far of other survivors, with the coast guard spotting an empty rubber dinghy and a life jacket during their search.

Dead cows from the boat have also been seen in the waves.

In Manila, relatives of the crew were waiting desperately for news.

Captain Dante Addug's sister told Agence France-Presse that he had been in touch with his girlfriend shortly before the boat sank.

"He told her there was an engine failure but they were able to restart it after an hour," Fredelyne Sanchez said.

"But then the big waves worsened and water started coming in."

Four coast guard vessels, a defense ministry plane and specially trained divers are involved in the search.

But it is unclear how much longer their efforts can continue, with Haishen heading towards the area.

The storm was expected to begin affecting areas including Okinawa in southern Japan and parts of western Kyushu from Saturday night to Monday, September 7, and the government warned residents to prepare.

"In the region that the typhoon is approaching, record rains, storms, high waves and high tides are feared," government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said Friday.

In preparation, water was being emptied from behind dams to make room for heavy rainfall and a quick response system to warn residents was being activated, he added.

The Gulf Livestock 1 crew was made up of 39 Filipinos, two New Zealanders and two Australians. The boat was traveling from Napier in New Zealand to the Chinese port of Tangshan.

It had experienced engine problems before: a 2019 observer report by Australian authorities noted that the boat was forced to drift at sea for 25 hours after an issue with its main engine while en route to China. –