BEIJING, China (9th UPDATE) – The coronavirus that emerged in central China at the end of last year has killed more than 1,500 people in China and spread around the world.
The latest figures from China show there are more than 66,000 people infected in the country. (READ: China coronavirus outbreak: How governments have reacted)
Egypt reported its first infection on Friday, February 14 – the first in Africa.
Here are the areas where COVID-19, the virus's official designation, has been confirmed:
As of Saturday, at least 66,000 people have been infected across China, the majority in and around Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, where the outbreak was first reported.
Most of the 1,523 who have died in mainland China were in that region, but officials have confirmed multiple deaths elsewhere, including the capital Beijing.
Twelve patients have been confirmed in Australia. Most of them arrived in the country from Wuhan or Hubei province.
Currently, there are 15 confirmed cases.
Cambodia's health ministry has so far reported one case, a 60-year-old man who arrived from Wuhan.
India's health ministry confirmed the country's second case, which like the first, is in the southern state of Kerala. The ministry said the new case is being treated in isolation at a hospital. There are total of 3 people infected with COVID-2019.
The cruise ship Diamond Princess, quarantined off Japan have 285 cases, including the quarantine officer.
Malaysia has confirmed 21 cases.
Nepal has reported one case so far: a man who arrived from Wuhan.
The Philippines on Sunday reported the first death from the virus outside mainland China. Authorities said the 44-year-old Chinese man had arrived in the Philippines from Wuhan.
The first case detected in the Philippines was a 38-year-old woman who had arrived with that man from Wuhan. There are a total of 3 cases in the Philippines.
The recent cases include a South Korean man in his 20s who returned from Wuhan on a chartered plane on Friday, a 40-year-old Chinese woman whose husband was diagnosed with the virus on Saturday, and a 43-year-old South Korean man who returned from Wuhan on January 20.
Sri Lanka has confirmed one infection – a 43-year-old Chinese tourist from Hubei province.
Taiwan has uncovered 18 cases so far, including two female Chinese nationals in their 70s who arrived in the country as part of a tour group.
Vietnam reported 6 more cases on Thursday, February 13, taking the total in the country to 16. The Son Loi farming region of about 40 kilometers from Hanoi will be locked down for 20 days, Vietnam's health ministry said.
Canada has confirmed 7 cases.
The United States has confirmed 15 cases: 8 in California, two in Illinois, one in Arizona, one in Massachusetts, on in Texas, one in Washington state, and one in Wisconsin.
British health officials said there are a total of 9 confirmed cases.
A tourist from Wuhan tested positive for the virus on Wednesday and was being treated in isolation in hospital, officials said.
Germany now has 16 confirmed cases.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced the first two cases in his country – two Chinese tourists who recently arrived in Italy. There are now 3 known case in Italy.
Sweden on Friday announced its first case, a woman whose nationality has not been revealed.
Spain reported its first case in a man on the island of La Gomera in the Canaries. He was one of five people isolated after coming into contact with a German man with the illness. There are two known cases in Spain.
United Arab Emirates
UAE health officials have confirmed a Chinese family of 4 tested positive for the virus after arriving from Wuhan.
UAE's health ministry announced on Monday, February 10, that the latest case is an Indian who had interacted with a person who was recently diagnosed with COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases to 8.
The health ministry reported the country's first confirmed case on Friday – the first on the continent. – Rappler.com