CAIRO, Egypt – An Al-Qaeda inspired group in Egypt claimed responsibility on Saturday, January 25, for four bombings targeting police in Cairo that killed six people the day before.
Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, or Partisans of Jerusalem, also called in its statement for Muslims to stay away from police buildings.
The group had previously taken responsibility for some of the deadliest bombings across the country following the military’s overthrow of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.
The group, in a statement posted on a website used by Islamist militants, said it remotely detonated a car bomb outside Cairo police headquarters on Friday morning, January 24, that killed four people, and followed up the attack with three other bombings across the capital. (READ: Deadly bombings rock Cairo on uprising anniversary eve)
“In this context, we repeat our call to our people in Egypt to avoid security and police installations, because we are trying very hard to avoid harming Muslims,” the statement said. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.