Leo Valdez, Eugene Domingo win at 25th Aliw Awards
MANILA, Philippines - On November 26, the Centennial Pavillion of the Manila Hotel came alive when the Aliw Awards Foundation honored Eugene Domingo as Best Actress and Edgar Allan Guzman as Best Actor in a Non-Musical Production for their respective roles in PETA’s "Bona."
Leo Valdez of Resorts World Manila’s "The King and I" and Joanna Ampil of "The Sound of Music" were declared Best Actor and Best Actress in a Musical Production.
In contrast to the 2011 awards, the 25th Aliw Awards was well attended; almost all of the nominees and winners were in attendance, adding glitz and glamour to the special occasion.
Eugene Domingo gave a comical entrance on her way to receiving her award — sashaying down the aisle like a beauty queen, making the audience burst into laughter.
Here is the complete list of winners:
- Best Child Performer: Alon Severino (Totong Hilot/Virgin Labfest 8)
- Best Production for Children: The Wizard of Oz (Repertory Philippines)
- Best Non-Musical Production: Sintang Dalisay (Tanghalang Ateneo)
- Best Musical Production: The King and I (Resorts World Manila)
- Best Stage Director (Non-Musical): Ricardo Abad (Sintang Dalisay/Tanghalang Ateneo)
- Best Stage Director (Musical): Freddie Santos (The King and I/Resorts World Manila)
- Best Actor (Non-Musical): Edgar Allan Guzman (Bona/PETA)
- Best Actress (Non-Musical): Eugene Domingo (Bona/PETA)
- Best Actor (Musical): Leo Valdez (The King and I/ Resorts World Manila)
- Best Actress (Musical): Joanna Ampil (The Sound of Music/Resorts World Manila)
- Best Actress in a Featured Role: Aiza Seguerra (Rock of Ages/Atlantis Productions)
- Best Actor in a Featured Role: Phil Noble (Bona/PETA)
- Best Musical Director: Mel Villena (Swings Out with AMP Band)
- Best New Artist: KZ Tandingan
- Best New Artist (Group): The Filipino Tenors
- Best Dance Company: Ballet Manila
- Best Cultural Group: Tanghalang SLU (Baguio City)
- Best Choral Group: UST Singers
- Best Instrumentalist: Mary Ann Espina (Piano)
- Best Emcee (Female): Iza Calzado
- Best Emcee (Male): RJ Ledesma
- Best Stand-up Comedian: Jon Santos (Music Museum)
- Best Classical Dancer: Lisa Macuja (Swan Song Series/Ballet Manila)
- Best Classical Performer: Randy Gilongo
- Best Concerts Stage Director: Floy Quintos (Jed Madela Beyond Expectations)
- Best Performer in Hotels, Music Lounges, Bars (Female): Pat Castillo (Tap Room/Manila Hotel)
- Best Performer in Hotels, Music Lounges, Bars (Male): Ronnie Diao (Moomba Bar)
- Best Performer in Hotels, Music Lounges, Bars (Group): Draybers (Resorts World Manila)
- Best Performance in a Concert (Male): Bo Cerrudo (Cerrudo at Teatrino)
- Best Performance in a Concert (Female): Isay Alvarez (Swings Out with AMP Band/Teatrino)
- Best Performance in a Concert (Group): Gloc 9 (Rap Rocker/Metro Bar)
- Best Collaboration in a Concert: Lea Salonga, Cecille Licad and Lisa Macuja (Legends and Classics/CCP)
- Best Major Concert (Male): Jed Madela (Beyond Expectations/CCP)
- Best Major Concert (Female): Sarah Geronimo (SG/24 /Araneta Coliseum)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Imelda Papin
- Hall of Fame Award: QC Performing Arts
- Entertainer of the Year: Lisa Macuja
This year's awards honored productions and performances in Filipino theater and live entertainment from October 1, 2011 to September 30, 2012.
Alice H. Reyes is the founding and current president of the Aliw Awards; Frank Rivera is chairman of the screening committee. - Rappler.com
Jude Cartalaba is a writer-facilitator and a creative strategist. He, along with his writer-editor friends, founded PinoyWriters. He currently contributes to BroadwayWorld.com and is the managing editor of SpotlightPinas.com.