EU pledges P160-M in aid for typhoon survivors
MANILA, Philippines - The European Union (EU) has committed P160 million in aid for the victims of typhoon Pablo in Mindanao, the EU Delegation in Manila said on Tuesday, December 11.
Following the report of an EU rapid assessment team that travelled to the affected areas, EU Ambassador to the Philippines Guy Ledoux explained in a statement that the aid will be allocated to the following items:
- Distribution of food and non-food relief items
- Shelter repair
- Water and sanitation
- Basic improvement of health facilities
- Cash-transfer activities
- Psycho-social support to affected families
"About 165,000 vulnerable people in need of urgent assistance are expected to benefit from this funding," Ledoux said.
The rapid assessment team dispatched to Mindanao noted that the "peak extent of the devastation" was caused by strong winds, sea surges along the coast and inland by flash floods and landslides.
Also on Tuesday, the Embassy of Japan also announced the handover of emergency relief goods worth P22-M to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
The assistance includes:
- 300 tents
- 3,000 jerry cans
- 3,000 sleeping pads
- 200 plastic sheets
Almost P900 million has been pledged so far by donor countries led by Australia to help the survivors of the storm.
The United Nations also launched on Monday a US$65-M global aid appeal to help desperate survivors of Pablo, which killed more than 700 people and affected millions in Mindanao. - Rappler.com