Lopez-led telco says 2012 revenues may exceed target
MANILA, Philippines - Lopez-owned firm Bayan Telecommunications Inc. may exceed its target revenues this year, on the back of strong earnings from various consumer and corporate data services.
The company is targeting revenues worth P5.1 billion this year, but may exceed this by 3%. This could place the company's revenues at P5.25 billion by yearend, said Bayan vice president for marketing Juan Jose De Jesus.
"We are likely to exceed by 3% of our target revenue this year. We could be ahead of our target because we are doing very well," said De Jesus.
"Our bottom line is also looking good. We have a healthy EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) and our expenses are well within the level," De Jesus said. He noted that in 2011, Bayan’s revenue stood at less than P5 billion.
Corporate data services make up 55% of Bayan’s total revenue, while the remaining 45% is from consumer-related services such as broadband DSL and landline services.
Bayan broadband subscriber base is now 140,000 higher than last year’s 120,000, while landline subscribers stood at 190,000.
"We see a double-digit growth for DSL of about 12-15 percent this year," Bayan sales group head Anicieto Franco III said.
Bayan also offers managed services to companies that still lack disaster recovery plans.
In a briefing on Tuesday, October 23, Bayan’s corporate and business unit Bayan Business released the B2BIZ:MS 2012 Innovative Industry Insights on Disaster Recovery.
The disaster plan enables companies to lessen or eliminate the impact of a disaster even before it occurs. This will also help in the quick restoration of systems and reduction of downtimes.
Bayan commissioned the Institute for Development and Economic Analysis Inc. (IDEA) to conduct surveys in the National Capital Region, representing the education, finance, ICT, logistics, manufacturing, offshoring & outsourcing, and trade industries.
"The Philippines is no stranger to a wide range of disaster events. Apart from loss of lives and property, disruptive events can result in significant direct and indirect financial losses for business organizations," DEA chairman Dr. Raul Fabella said.
Among the 18 cities primed for IT and business process outsourcing (IT-BPO) locations, 8 can be classified as highly vulnerable to climate-related disasters.
These are Metro Manila, Dagupan, Naga, Angeles, Cavite, Sta. Rosa, Lipa and Legaspi. Only 3 cities -- Iloilo, Cagayan de Oro and General Santos -- are less probable to experience climate-related disasters.
"We want to encourage business organizations to adopt a proactive stance and invest in data recovery infrastructure now, as investing after a disaster already struck would be more costly for them," Franco said. - Rappler.com