Cebu Pacific to cancel flights during 6-month Boracay closure
MANILA, Philippines – Cebu Pacific will cancel its flights to and from Caticlan and Kalibo over the 6-month period that Boracay Island, the world-famous tourist destination, will be closed.
The airline made the announcement close to midnight of Thursday, April 5, a few hours after President Rodrigo Duterte announced in a Cabinet meeting that he had accepted the recommendation of 3 agencies to shut down the island amid environmental concerns.
In a statement on April 5, Cebu Pacific listed 19 flights – mostly catering to tourists – that would be stopped from April 26 to October 27.
However, there are 6 flights it would retain “to serve local residents and ensure continuity of commerce in Northern Panay island” during the period.
Flights canceled from April 26 to October 27:
- 5J 891/892
- 5J 895/896
- 5J 899/900
- 5J 901/902
- 5J 905/906
- DG 6241/6242
- DG 6243/6244
- DG 6247/6248
- 5J 132/133
- DG 6298/6299
- 5J 331/332
- DG 6317/6318
- 5J 339
- 5J 413 (daily)
- 5J 415 (Sunday/Friday)
- 5J 416/417 (Sunday)
- 5J 351 (Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday)
- 5J 352 (Monday/Wednesday/Friday)
Kalibo-Incheon-Kalibo (starting June 1)
- 5J 180/181 (daily)
- 5J 182/183 (daily)
Cebu Pacific will operate the following flights from April 26 to October 27:
- Manila-Kalibo 5J 337 - daily (except May 1-4)
- Kalibo-Manila 5J 338 - daily (except May 1-4)
- Manila-Caticlan DG 6245 - daily
- Caticlan-Manila DG 6246 - daily
- Cebu-Caticlan DG 6272 - daily
- Caticlan-Cebu DG 6273 - daily
The airline advised affected passengers to take any of the following options:
- Get a full refund
- Place the full value of the ticket in a travel fund for future use
- Rebook the flight, subject to seat availability (via the ”Manage Booking” section in the Cebu Pacific website)
- Reroute to any domestic destination, subject to seat availability
"Guests who booked through a travel agent or any other third party are encouraged to provide us with their own contact details so they are directly advised about any flight changes," Cebu Pacific said.
The airline said its GetGo members who redeemed flights during the affected period can:
- Rebook up to 30 days from original travel date, subject to seat availability
- Reroute to any domestic destination within 30 days from original travel date, subject to seat availability
- Credit back points to member’s GetGo account by calling 714-3846
Passengers may also contact Cebu Pacific through the following:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cebupacificair
- Twitter: @CebuPacificAir
- Hotline: 702-0888
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.