Red alert raised for 4th time in Luzon grid
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Power interruptions are expected on Monday, April 15, as the Luzon grid was placed under red and yellow alerts for the 4th time this month.
The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) placed the Luzon grid on red alert from 10 am to 11 am and from 1 pm to 4 pm on Monday. This means that power companies may implement rotational brownouts.
The yellow alert was also raised from 9 am to 10 am, from 11 am to 1 pm, from 4 pm to 5 pm, and from 6 pm to 8 pm. This is one notch lower than the red alert and means that reserves have dropped below 647 megawatts (MW). A yellow alert status does not result in power interruptions.
The Manila Electric Company (Meralco) released a tentative list of areas to be affected by rotational brownouts on Monday. Below is the list as of 12:40 pm:
Between 1 pm and 2 pm
- Caloocan City - Dagat-Dagatan, Poblacion, Sta Quiteria
- Las Piñas City - Almanza I, Almanza II, Las Piñas (Isolated), Tindig Mangga
- Makati City - Poblacion
- Malabon City - Catmon, Dagat-Dagatan, Ibaba, Longos, Niugan, Potrero, San Agustin, Tañong (Pob.), Tinajeros, Tonsuya, Tugatog
- Mandaluyong City - Addition Hills, Bagong Silang, Barangka Drive, Barangka Ibaba, Barangka Ilaya, Barangka Itaas, Buayang Bato, Burol, Daang Bakal, Hagdang Bato Itaas, Hagdang Bato Libis, Harapin Ang Bukas, Highway Hills, Hulo, Mabini-J Rizal, Malamig, Mauway, New Zaniga, Old Zaniga, Pag-asa, Plainview, Pleasant Hills, Poblacion, San Jose, Vergara, Wack-Wack Greenhills East
- City of Manila - Binondo, San Nicolas, Sta Ana, Sta Mesa, Tondo
- Muntinlupa City - Alabang, Bayanan, Buli, Cupang, New Alabang Village, Poblacion, Putatan, Sucat, Tunasan
- Navotas City - Bagumbayan North, Bagumbayan South, Bangculasi, Daanghari, Dagat-Dagatan, Navotas East, Navotas West, San Jose (Pob.), Sipac-Almacen
- Parañaque City - Baclaran, BF Homes, La Huerta, Moonwalk, San Dionisio, San Antonio, San Isidro, Sto Niño, Tambo
- Pasig City - Kapitolyo, San Antonio
- Quezon City - Kalusugan, Mariana, Damayang Lagi, Valencia
- San Juan City - Addition Hills, Balong-Bato, Batis, Corazon de Jesus, Ermitaño, Greenhills, Isabelita, Kabayanan, Little Baguio, Maytunas, Onse, Pasadeña, Pedro Cruz, Salapan, Sta Lucia, Tibagan
- Valenzuela City - Caruhatan, Heneral T de Leon, Malinta, Marulas, Maysan, Parada, Pariancillo Villa, Poblacion
- Baliuag - San Jose, Tibag
- Bocaue - Duhat
- Bustos - Bonga Menor, Buisan, Camachilihan, Catacte, Liciada, Malamig, Malawak
- Guiguinto - Pritil, Sta Cruz, Sta Rita
- Malolos City - Caniogan, Catmon, Cofradia, Dakila, Guinhawa, Mabolo, Malolos, Mojon, San Juan, San Pablo, Sta Isabel, Sumapang Bata, Sumapang Matanda, Tikay
- Alfonso - Taywanak Ilaya, Taywanak Ibaba, Pajo, Esperanza Ilaya, Esperanza Ibaba, Alfonso Town Proper
- Bacoor City - Molino VII, Bacoor Town Proper
- Dasmariñas City - Salawag, San Miguel Archangel I
- Indang - Alulod, Banaba Cerca, Banaba Lejos, Carasuchi, Daine I, Daine II, Guyam Malaki, Harasan, Indang Town Proper, Kayquit III, Kaytambog, Lumampong Balagbag, Lumampong Halayhay, Pulo, Tambo Balagbag, Tambo Ilaya, Tambo Kulit, Tambo Malaki
- Maragondon - Pantihan 1, Pantihan 2, Pantihan 3, Pulo Ni Sara (Pantihan 4
- Mendez-Nuñez - Anuling Cerca I, Anuling Cerca II, Anuling Lejos I, Anuling Lejos II, Asis I, Asis III, Banayad, Bukal, Galicia I, Galicia II, Galicia III, Mendez Nuñez, Miguel Mojica, Palocpoc I, Panungyan I
- Naic - Malainen Luma
- Tagaytay City - Guinhawa North, Kaybagal East, Kaybagal South, Maharlika West, Mendez Crossing East, Mendez Crossing West, Neogan, Patutong Malaki North, Patutong Malaki South, Zambal
- San Pedro - Cuyab, Landayan, Nueva, San Antonio, San Pedro (Town Proper), San Vicente, Sto Niño
"The red and yellow alerts have been caused by insufficient operating reserves due to the forced outage of multiple power plants," the Department of Energy (DOE) said.
In addition to the plants on forced outage, several plants are also running below their maximum capacities.
To avert the possibility of a power interruption during the red alert status, energy companies will implement the Interruptible Load Program.
Establishments which are part of this program will use their own generators during power supply deficits.
The DOE appealed to consumers to conserve energy to help mitigate the impact of low power supply in the grid. – Rappler.com