2 Filipino films screening at Cannes
MANILA, Philippines - Two Filipino films will be screened at the Cannes film festival's Un Certain Regard competition for up-and-coming talent in May.
The two films are "Death March" by Adolfo Alix Jr. and "Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan" ("Norte, The End of History") by Lav Diaz are among the 15 films in competition that will be screened at the French Riviera festival.
Diaz has been known for films such as "Batang West Side," while Alix is the screenwriter for "Donsol," the Philippines' official submission to the American Academy Awards' (Oscars) Best Foreign Language Film category for 2006.
The other films that are included in the Un Certain Regard competition are:
- OPENING FILM: "The Bling Ring", Sofia Coppola
- "Omar", Hany Abu-Assad
- "Fruitvale Station", Ryan Coogler
- "Les Salauds", Claire Denis
- "As I Lay Dying", James Franco
- "Miele", Valeria Golino
- "L'Inconnu du Lac", Alain Guiraudie
- "Bends", Flora Lau
- "L'Image Manquante", Rithy Panh
- "La Jaula de Oro" ("The Golden Cage"), Diego Quemada-Diez
- "Anonymous", Mohammad Rasoulof
- "Sarah Prefere La Course", Chloe Robichaud
- "Grand Central", Rebecca Zlotowski
The other films that are screening out of competition are:
- OPENING FILM: "The Great Gatsby", Baz Luhrmann
- CLOSING FILM: "Zulu", Jerome Salle
- "All is Lost", J.C. Chandor
- "Blood Ties", Guillaume Canet
- "Monsoon Shootout", Amit Kumar
- "Blind Detective", Johnnie To
- TRIBUTE TO JERRY LEWIS: "Max Rose", Daniel Noah
- "Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight", Stephen Frears
- "Stop the Pounding Heart", Roberto Minervini
- "Weekend of a Champion", Roman Polanski
- "Seduced and Abandoned", James Toback
- "Otdat Konci" ("Bite the Dust"), Taisia Igumentseva
- "Bombay Talkies", Anurag Kashyap, Dibakar Banerjee, Zoya Akhtar, Karan Johar
- with reports from Agence France-Press/Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.