10 things to know about 'Incredibles 2'
MANILA, Philippines – It’s been more than a decade since the first Incredibles movie was released, but the popular Pixar movie is finally getting a sequel. ('Incredibles 2' set to break more records for Disney)
In Incredibles 2, superhero couple Helen and Bob Parr switch roles and Helen has a new job: saving the world in order to show government officials that Supers aren’t all bad – and that they should be legal again.
Meanwhile, Bob has to stay at home and take care of the kids, Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack, as they deal with math, boys, and newfound superpowers.
Incredibles 2 opens on Thursday, June 14. Can't wait to see it? Here are a few things you should know about the movie to get you through the wait.
1. It’s been 14 years since the first movie was released. Anyone who saw The Incredibles as a kid is probably in college or in the workforce now. Still, in the Incredibles world, no time has passed between the two films. (READ: Revisiting the Parrs: the timelessness, relevance of 'Incredibles 2')
2. Writer and director Brad Bird said he wouldn’t make a sequel unless it was better than the first. When ComingSoon.net asked Brad in 2007 if he would do an Incredibles sequel, he said: “I do if I can come up with a story that is as good or better than the first one. If I can come up with a Toy Story 2 with The Incredibles, then I would do it in a second. I have pieces that I think are good, but I don’t have them all together.”
3. Jack-Jack the baby has powers! So far, he has 11 in total: (ICYMI: Baby Jack-Jack reveals his powers in 'Incredibles 2' trailer)
- Bursting into flames/Pyrokinesis
- Laser vision
- Levitation and the ability to hang out on the ceiling and walls
- Multiplication – splitting into multiple Jack-Jacks
- Phasing – moving through closed doors
- Projecting bolts of electricity
- Transforming into heavy metal or goo
- Turning into a demon baby
4. The Parrs have a cool new house because of Helen’s new job. “I think I really loved working on the new Parr house. It’s so fabulous! You’ll have to wait and see!” Shading Art Director Brynn Imagire told Rappler.
5. The movie starts right where its predecessor left off – the beginning of a battle with the Underminer. You’ll still understand the movie if you’ve never watched the first, but it would be nice to be able to connect the final scene in The Incredibles with Incredibles 2 when you see it.
6. Fans will get to see a cute new Pixar short called Bao when they watch Incredibles 2 in theaters. Watch the trailer for Bao below:
7. Pixar’s artists went on a research trip to Palm Springs to get the film’s mid-century modern look right.
8. It took almost half the time to make Incredibles 2 compared to The Incredibles. According to Bryn, she worked on Incredibles 2 for two years, but the first movie took 3 or 4 years to make. Brad told IGN that he went to Pixar with the idea for The Incredibles in 2000 and they released the movie in 2004.
9. Helen Parr gets a new super suit, but *gasp!* it wasn’t designed by Edna Mode. Hear Edna’s reaction for yourself in the promo video below.
10. Six new “wannabe” supers join the heroes we know and love. Get ready to meet Voyd, Brick, Reflux, Krushauer, Screch, and He-lectrix soon! You can catch a glimpse of them in the poster below, by Helen and Bob Parr's feet.