One Direction 'to go separate ways' next year
LONDON, United Kingdom – British pop phenomenon One Direction are to take an indefinite break from next year, according to a media report Monday, August 24 which has left fans devastated.
The 4-piece boyband will separate for at least a year from March to pursue solo projects, according to The Sun newspaper, citing a "1D source.”
The band, who enjoy a massive global teenage following, did not comment when contacted by Agence France-Presse and have not commented on the tabloid report on their various Twitter accounts.
"The guys have been together for 5 years, which is an incredible run for any boyband," said The Sun's source.
"They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects. There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100 percent behind the decision.
"It is definitely not a split and they fully intend to get back together at some time in the future."
Fans took to social media to express their shock, with Twitter user Lexie Noel posting that "I've never cried harder.”
Bee @hellobee added: "WHAT IS THIS NEWS ABOUT ONE DIRECTION SPLITTING UP IM DYING IN THE GROCERY STORE OMG.”
Battle-hardened fans offered advice to those going through their first boy-band split.
"It's ok One Direction fans, I went through this with Take That & Boyzone," wrote Twitter user @LisforLia.
"You may feel like your heart is in a blender, but you can do this."
The band is due to release its 5th album before Christmas, and fulfil promotional commitments by the end of February, the report said.
There is no tour scheduled for the new album.
One Direction's last scheduled concerts are at the Sheffield Arena in northern England on October 29, 30, 31.
They are currently touring North America and are due to perform in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Tuesday, August 25.
Put together for a British television singing contest in 2010, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson swiftly developed a giant, fiercely loyal following of young girls worldwide.
The chart-toppers have sold more than 50 million records around the globe.
Malik quit the band in March, shortly after being signed off with stress.
"I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight," he said at the time.
The Sun's report said the split would have happened regardless of Malik's departure.
The Sunday Times newspaper's "Rich List 2015" reckoned the band members were worth £25 million each. – Rappler.com
Photo via Tinseltown/Shutterstock.com
More One Direction on Rappler here:
- CONFIRMED: Zayn Malik leaves One Direction
- In tweets: Fans react to news that Zayn Malik is leaving One Direction
- PH fans react to news that Zayn Malik won't come to Manila
- Zayn Malik of One Direction will not perform in Manila concert
- Zayn Malik in One Direction: 5 unforgettable moments
- One Direction members speak up about Zayn Malik's departure
- WATCH: One Direction on Zayn's exit: 'We were angry at first'
- One Direction's Louis Tomlinson in Twitter fight with Zayn Malik
- Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards end engagement – report
- WATCH: Perrie Edwards addresses Zayn Malik breakup
One Direction in Jakarta:
One Direction in Manila:
- IN PHOTOS: One Direction in Manila concert, day 1
- Watch clips from One Direction live in Manila, day 1
- One Direction pays 'marijuana bond' to Philippines – govt
- One Direction concert organizers must pay cash bond for 1D to perform
- Two members of One Direction caught smoking on video
- One Direction to perform in Manila in 2015
- One Direction releases first single without Zayn Malik
- One Direction's Louis Tomlinson to be a father – reports
- One Direction squashes rumors they're breaking up
- WATCH: One Direction's 'Drag Me Down' music video
- Little boy teaches One Direction how to nae nae
- One Direction breaks streaming record with surprise song
- Simon Cowell speaks up on controversial One Direction video
- One Direction to go on extended break – reports