MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'Haunted Mansion'
MANILA, Philippines – December 25 is fast approaching, and with Christmas Day comes the release of the 8 entries for this year's Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF).
This year, one of the horror movies in the lineup is Haunted Mansion, directed by Jun Lana, and starring Marlo Mortel, Jerome Ponce, and Janella Salvador.
Here are a few things to know about the movie before you see it in cinemas:
1. The movie follows a group of high school kids who are spending the night in a retreat house.
When they learn that the retreat house is haunted, they set out to look for the ghosts just for fun, but find out soon enough that the urban legends are real.
2. Haunted Mansion is Regal Films' horror entry to the MMFF this year, as opposed to the usual new installment of the Shake, Rattle & Roll series.
During the press conference for the movie on December 9, producer Lily Monteverde (aka Mother Lily) explained, "It's because I believe so much in Haunted Mansion. I believe so much in my newest babies, Janella, Marlo, and Jerome."
Everything #MMFF2015 READ:
- 8 entries revealed: MMFF 2015 movie lineup
- MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'Buy Now, Die Later'
- MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'My Bebe Love'
- MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'Honor Thy Father'
- MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'Nilalang'
- MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'Walang Forever'
- MMFF 2015: 5 Things to know about 'All You Need is Pag-ibig'
- MMFF 2015: 5 things to know about 'Beauty and the Bestie'
"[The] first time that I visited the set in Bulacan, natakot ako. Nakakakilabot, di ako nakatulog. That's how scary the movie is. Pati si Mother Lily na shake, na rattle, at nag-roll!" she added, laughing.
(The first time that I visited the set in Bulacan, I got scared. I got goosebumps, I couldn't sleep. That's how scary the movie is. Even Mother Lily shook, rattled, and rolled!)
3. Some of the actors had creepy experiences on the set.
Paolo Gumabao, who plays the character Steve in the movie, shared during the press conference that he, his stylist, and his personal assistant (PA) were "ghost hunting" on the second floor of the mansion on a break from filming. He and his stylist went into a room, only to have the door close behind them –there was no wind and his PA was at the opposite end of the hallway outside.
Actress Ingrid dela Paz said she, Sharlene San Pedro, and Eliza Pineda, all heard a little boy talking on the second floor too.
Meanwhile, after the press conference, Janella told reporters that her mother and brother were inside a tent when they heard an old man moaning outside.
4. This is Marlo Mortel and Janella Salvador's first movie together.
Previously, the MarNella tandem starred in TV shows like Be Careful With My Heart.
5. After this movie, Janella is set to be teamed up with Elmo Magalona in the upcoming series Born For You.
The 17-year-old actress has never been teamed up with any other actor besides Marlo Mortel before.
This doesn't mean, though, that the two will never be in another project together. Marlo said at the press conference "Para sa 'kin hindi naman ito yung magiging last na pag-team up namin. Kung baga, itong movie na 'to, ngayon pa lang ilalabas, so what if maganda yung maging reaksyon ng audience? Diyan natin malalaman kung in the future mag-partner ulit kami, di ba?"
(For me, this isn't our last team-up. This movie is just about to released, so what if the audience reacts well to it? That's when we'll know if we'll team up again in the future, right?)
Will you be seeing Haunted Mansion in theaters this Christmas? Let us know in the comments below! – Rappler.com