[What I Ate] A gigantic 4-patty, 2-pound burger from Zark's
In What I Ate, Rappler features a memorable dish – perhaps a mind-boggling concoction, or just an exceptionally tasty meal that you have chanced upon or returned for several times.
Have you eaten something lately that you want to share? Send your picture and story to email@example.com and get in touch with us.
The first time I encountered the Tombstone (P555) and deep-fried bacon-wrapped burger (P270) from Zark's was – like many of you – on my social media news feeds.
I recoiled in horror, but at the same time there was also a huge part of me that was drawn to these burgers, saying: "I want to try that." So, I did, and took a friend with me to Zark's Burgers knowing that I probably wouldn't be able to devour it all on my own.
The Tombstone is really huge, and you could probably etch "In loving memory" on its juicy patties – 4 half-pound ones, totaling to two pounds, plus 500 grams of fries on the side. (Unfortunately, we didn't dare finish the whole thing on the spot. Boo…)
It's not just a meal, though. Zark's presents it as an experience they call the Tombstone Challenge. If you finish the entire thing in 10 minutes, you get it for free. There's even a wall of photos for people who dared take the challenge, and you can also see some of their attempts on YouTube and the like.
The deep-fried bacon-wrapped burger will probably appeal to bacon fans. It's just a simple burger inside, although it's wrapped in strips of bacon. Then, the whole thing is dredged in flour and soaked in a deep fryer until it's crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
Where to get it?
We visited the Taft Avenue branch in front of De La Salle University, but Zark's Burgers also has several other branches:
- G/F Burgundy Transpacific Place, Taft Avenue, Malate, Manila
- 318 Katipunan Avenue, Loyola Heights, Quezon City
- 3/F Main Building, SM City North EDSA, Quezon City
- Eastwood Citywalk 2, Libis, Quezon City
- G/F Venice Piazza, McKinley Hill, Taguig City
- LG/F SM Megamall, Building B, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City
- UG/F The Annex, SM City North EDSA, Quezon City
- 35 Presidents Avenue, BF Homes, Parañaque City
- LG/F SM City Fairview, Novaliches, Quezon City
- LG/F SM City San Lazaro, Lacson Extension, Santa Cruz, Manila
- Shopwise Arcade, Araneta Center, Cubao, Quezon City
- SM City Dasmariñas, Governor's Drive, Dasmariñas, Cavite
- SM Southmall, Food Street, Alabang-Zapote Road, Almanza, Las Piñas City
- SM Bacoor, Tirona Highway, Bacoor, Cavite
- Gregorio Araneta Ave, Quezon City
- SM City Cebu, Juan Luna Avenue Extension, Cebu City, Cebu
- SM City Iloilo, Senator Benigno Aquino Jr. Avenue, Jaro West Diversion Road, Mandurriao District, Iloilo City
- SM City Bacolod, Rizal Street, Reclamation Area, Bacolod City