HIGHLIGHTS: #SONA2013 red carpet
MANILA, Philippines - "Oscars of Philippine politics" — this is how designer JC Buendia describes the red carpet of the President's annual State of the Nation Address (SONA) at the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City.
The two-hour arrivals that precede the actual SONA have become a media event as well, as more personalities from the world of Entertainment enter politics and many lawmakers themselves now see fashion as a political statement.
On Monday, July 22, we expect a number of outfits made from the Philippine indigenous fabric pinya, and designs that highlight the ethnic Filipino heritage. Symbolic outfits are also expected on the red carpet, as well as the SONA staple, the Filipiniana.
Gentlemen are expected to don the classic Barong Tagalog. Word has it that a number of female attendees will also be wearing it.
View all related information about SONA 2013:
- LIVE BLOG: #SONA2013
- #SONA2013: Key issues Aquino will tackle
- PNoy’s Report Card: SONA 2012 promises tracker
- Snapshot: Economy under Aquino
- Aquino's presidential management style
- Only 1 in 7 lawmakers are fresh faces
- FAST FACTS: Get to know the members of the 16th Congress
- A sneak peek at SONA 2013 fashion