Megan Young part of BBC 100 Women Series
MANILA, Philippines - Miss World 2013 Megan Young is set to take part in BBC's 100 Women Conference, to be held on October 25 in London.
Asked about her decision to join the competition, in an interview with BBC, the 23-year-old American-Filipino admitted she was once skeptical about beauty pageants, subscribing to the notion that they were "superficial."
But Miss World's conviction, she said, to the principles of "Beauty with a Purpose," by extending help to those in need, made Young see its essence beyond the glitz and glamor.
"My goal is to prove to people what Miss World does," she said, amid criticism toward the pageant, particularly from Islamist hard-liners in host-country Indonesia.
"People constantly need help, and that's the purpose of Miss World, to reach out to the less fortunate," Young said.
"It's heartwarming because we've had a lot of issues going on for the past month back home, with tragedies that have been happening, and for me to be that spark of hope and inspiration back home, for me to uplift the spirit of the Filipinos is an honor."
Watch the interview here:
BBC's 100 Women Series in October will highlight programs, reports, and social-media conversations that "will shine a light on risks, challenges, and opportunities for women in the 21st century."
The cumulating conference on October 25 will gather 100 women from all over the globe in a day of discourse and interaction that will be streamed online. - Rappler.com
You can also read:
- #AskMegan: Miss World PH 2013 Megan Young
- My sister, the beauty queen
- Megan Young makes cut in Miss World 2013 beach fashion
- Megan Young leaves for Indonesia
- Megan Young ready for Miss World 2013
- Megan Young 2nd in Ms World app poll
- Will Megan Young win Miss World title?
- IN PHOTOS: Ms World Ph 2013 coronation
- WINNERS: Miss World Ph 2013
- AS IT HAPPENS: Miss World Ph 2013 coronation night
- Girls to watch: Miss World Ph 2013
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Ph Gala