#ReliefPH: Help typhoon victims
MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATED) Typhoon Nona (international name: Melor) made landfall in Northern Samar on Monday morning, December 14.
But even before Nona leaves the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), tropical storm Onyok, another weather disturbance, entered PAR on Wednesday, December 16.
Local governments in Northern Samar, Oriental Mindoro, and nearby towns as well as the public have reported severe wind damage to buildings, farms, and road damage. As of Wednesday, the death toll has climbed to 11.
More than P42 million worth of relief assistance has been provided by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) as of December 16, to local government units (LGUs) in Regions IV-A, V, and VIII for distribution to families affected by Typhoon Nona.
Rappler and its Project Agos partners are compiling a list of ongoing relief operations and disaster response organizations that are mobilizing to aid communities affected by disaster.
Our Agos partners include: Ateneo de Manila's eBayanihan, Philippine Red Cross, World Vision, the Australian Government, Team48, Bike Scouts, National Youth Commission, Philippine Disaster Response Foundation and YesPinoy.
Help us crowdsource information and populate this list. If you know of an ongoing relief operation or an organization preparing to respond, please provide us with information via the following communication channels:
- Message us via our MovePH Facebook page
- Tweet us via on our Agos or Rappler Twitter Accounts
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Post directly on the Agos Alert Map
- Inform any of our partners above
- Post in the comments section below
Please include "#ReliefPH" in all your posts.
Donors are advised to conduct due diligence before donating money directly to personal bank accounts. Ask the organization or individual receiving the deposit for an acknowledgement receipt and how they intend to spend the money.
(As of December 17, 9 am)
- Bloomfield Academy is accepting donations for those affected by typhoon Nona in Mindoro. Donors can give the following: old clothes, blankets, canned goods, water, etc. You may bring your donations to Bloomfield from Thursday to Friday, December 17-18. These donations will be picked up from the school on Friday, to be brought to Mindoro.
- Keep Hope Alive (KHA) youth volunteers, Oriental Mindoro Disaster Youth Volunteers (OMDYV), Hope, Inc. & Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) will hold 'Operation : Awati Mindoro', a fundraiser for typhoon victims. Organizers are collecting relief goods such as: cash, canned goods, clothing, water, foods & other useful basic needs. Interested donors may inquire further by calling or texting (Mindoro) Shernan at +639494743512 or Ritz at 09273591310 and (Manila) Rewell +63 939 223 8952. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
- The Citizens' Disaster Response Center (CDRC) appeals for donations as well. CDRC aims to serve 4 Northern Samar municipalities (Palapag, Gamay, Mapanas, Lapinig) covering 18 barangays with 2,087 families. You may donate the following food/non-food items: 25 kilos rice, 12 cans sardines, ½ kilo monggo, ½ kilo dried fish, and 1 liter cooking oil. You may also donate the following non-food items: mat and blanket, soap (bath and laundry), and vulcasil for the roof. If you have items to donate, please contact CDRC at (632) 929-9820 or visit their office at 72-A Times St., West Triangle, Quezon City.
- NUJP relaunched Tabang Media Campaign to help members and colleagues affected by Typhoon Nona. NUJP is accepting donations in cash and in kind, specifically clothes, hygiene products, first aid kits, medicines (paracetamol, loperamide, antibiotics and the like), potable water, sleeping mats and even batteries and power banks. Cash or cheque donations may be deposited to the Tabang Media Bank Account (Acct. Name: National Union of Journalists of the Philippines, Metrobank Kamuning Branch: Acct. Number 229-7229-507-458; Swift code MBTCPHMM). For other donations, you may drop them off at the NUJP National Headquarters located at the 4th floor of the FSS Building at 89 Scout Castor St., Bgy. Laging Handa, Quezon City but we have put up a dropbox at the building's lobby for these donations.
- Alagang kapatid foundation launched their relief operation for those affected by Typhoon Nona. For more details, visit their Facebook page.
Refresh this page for updates - Rappler.com