#SimbangGabi2014: Global mass schedules
(UPDATED Dec 10, 7:34 pm) MANILA, Philippines – It’s about that time of the year again! Simbang Gabi will begin on December 16, nine days before Christmas. And as Filipinos have spread to every corner of the globe so has the distinctly Filipino Christmas tradition, which marks the beginning of the Advent season.
The tradition is said to have begun during the Spanish colonial rule of the Philippines. It was a compromise for farmers who would begin working before sunrise to avoid working in the heat out in the fields. So while the rest of the Catholic world would attend evening novenas, the Philippines would do an early morning novena.
While early morning masses aren’t done out of necessity anymore, Filipinos continue to cherish the tradition and strive to complete all 9 masses that still take place at the crack of dawn, often attending with their family, friends and other members of the community.
Outside of the Philippines, Simbang Gabi has become a yearly tradition that binds Filipino communities all around the world who continue to look forward to the masses during the Christmas season.
If you’re new to your country and don’t know where to attend mass, see the listings and schedules of Simbang Gabi masses in your part of the world.
If you don't see your parishes’ schedule here, please let us know in the comments below, tweet us the link @rapplerdotcom, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Simbang Gabi” in the subject line.
Please include the following details:
• Name of parish
• City (and province if applicable) and country of the parish
• Dates and times of masses
• Links to any related websites or social media accounts
Wherever you may be in the world, Maligayang Pasko po!
• Dec 15 - 24: The Philippine Embassy in Singapore has released the 2014 schedule of Simbang Gabi masses. See schedule here.
• Dec 15 - 24: Sta. Barbara Church, Republic Street, Valletta, Malta at 8:00 pm local time
• Dec 15 - 24: Millennium Chapel, Church Street, Paceville, St. Julian's, Malta at 8:30 pm local time.
• Dec 15 - 23: The Philippine Embassy in London announced the schedule of Simbang Gabi masses throughout the United Kingdom. Click here for more
• Dec 16 - 24: Our Lady of Arabia Parish will begin Simbang Gabi masses at 5 am.
• Dec 15 - 24: Filipinos in Los Angeles can find information on Simbang Gabi celebrations in their area here here.
• Dec 10, 15 - 24: The Diocese of Oakland will kick off Simbang Gabi on Dec 10 and announce schedule listings after. Details here.
• After a ban on Simbang Gabi in New York last year, masses are slated to return to the tri-state area. (Updates on mass schedules to follow.)
• From Dec 15 - 24 in Las Vegas:
5 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 14:t St. Francis of Assisi
2300 Sunridge Heights Pkwy, Henderson NV 89052
6 p.m., Monday, Dec. 15, Monday: St. John Neumann
2575 El Campo Grande Ave., North Las Vegas NV 89031
8:15 a.m., Tuesday, Dec. 16: St. Viator
2461 E. Flamingo Road, Las Vegas NV 89121
8 a.m., Wednesday, Dec. 17: St. Joseph, Husband of Mary
7260 W. Sahara Ave., Las Vegas NV 89117
7 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 18: Our Lady of Las Vegas
3050 Alta Drive, Las Vegas NV 89107
8 a.m., Friday, Dec. 19: Christ the King
4925 S. Torrey Pines Drive, Las Vegas NV 89118
December 20, Saturday – 4:30 pm at St. Thomas Moore
130 N. Pecos Road, Henderson, NV 89074
12:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 21: Holy Spirit
5959 S. Hualapai Way, Las Vegas NV 89148
6 p.m., Monday, Dec. 22: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
1811 Pueblo Vista Drive, Las Vegas NV 89128
5 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 23: St. Bridget
220 N. 14th Street, Las Vegas NV 89101
Bookmark this page and check back for more Simbang Gabi listings. – Rappler.com