All the videos you need to prepare for earthquakes
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines is one of the top hazard-prone countries on Earth, and its location in the Pacific Ring of Fire makes it a special target. Eight out of 10 of the world's most disaster-prone cities are located in the Philippines.
To help educate the public in time for the National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill and the Metro Manila ShakeDrill, Rappler compiles this list of videos.
What are people doing to prepare?
- The Disaster Information for Nationwide Awareness project is part of the commitment of the Philippine government to the Hyogo Framework of Action, an international convention on disaster preparedness
- This video shows government's suggestions on how to prepare an emergency survival kit
- PHIVOLCS Director Renato Solidum and safety expert Martin Aguda provide tips on how to prepare for earthquakes
- Rappler talks to Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum about what could happen if a 7.2-magnitude earthquake hits Metro Manila
- Social media is a complementary technology to help communities with disaster preparedness
- A panel of experts discuss lessons learned from the Nepal earthquake
- Residents are interviewed on what they are doing to prepare their communities
- Education Secretary Armin Luistro is interviewed on the condition of school buildings
- A witness at a Senate hearing testifies on the condition of the Makati Science High School
- Responder teams from various cities showcase their skills
- One of the two Filipino survivors of the April 2015 Nepal earthquake tells her story
- Was the 2015 #MMShakeDrill realistic enough to prepare Filipinos?
How have cities prepared their residents?
- The City of Manila holds an earthquake drill
- Taguig City showcases its capabilities during a 2015 National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill
- The City of Pines tests its earthquake preparedness plans in its first city-wide drill
What was the 2015 #MMShakeDrill like?
- Metro Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council Chairman Francis Tolentino invites the public to participate in the 2015 #MMShakeDrill
- Rappler's live coverage of the 2015 #MMShakeDrill
- The first two minutes of the #MMShakeDrill at the West Quadrant
- A short video of the MMDA facility at the West Quadrant
- Another short video of the MMDA Worker's Inn at the West Quadrant
- A view of the Emergency Operations Center at the West Quadrant
- Another view of the Emergency Operations Center at the West Quadrant
- A video of one of the major avenues at the North Quadrant
- A video of the major road artery at the Southern Quadrant
- A video of one the areas in the Eastern Quadrant
- The Emergency Operations Center at the Eastern Quadrant
- Response exercises at the East Quadrant
- Avad Amoozegar, country director of Action Against Hunger, gives his views after the 2015 #MMShakeDrill
- Mark Bidder of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humantarian Assistance gives his observations after the 2015 #MMShakeDrill
How have other parts of the Philippines endured earthquakes?
Learn more about the #MMShakeDrill by clicking the link below: