Aquino appoints 6 new anti-graft court justices
MANILA, Philippines – President Benigno Aquino III named 6 new justices to the anti-graft court on Monday, January 25.
- Associate Justice Michael Frederick Musngi
- Associate Justice Reynaldo Cruz
- Associate Justice Ma. Theresa Mendoza-Arcega
- Associate Justice Karl Miranda
- Associate Justice Zaldy Trespeses
- Associate Justice Geraldine Faith Econg
The new justices took their oath on the same day before before Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno (Mendoza-Arcega, Trespeses, and Econg) and Justice Francis Jardeleza (Musngi, Cruz and Miranda).
In April 2015, President Benigno Aquino III signed into law Republic Act 10660, strengthening the functions and structures of the anti-graft court to speed up hearings of cases. (READ: Aquino signs law expanding Sandiganbayan to 7 divisions)
Under the law, two divisions will be added to the existing 5, all with 3 members each.
The Judicial and Bar Council submitted to the President the short lists for the posts last October. – Rappler.com