MANILA, Philippines – At 2.30 pm on Monday, February 6, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) lifted a tsunami alert that was earlier imposed in Central Visayas towns struck by a magnitude 6.9-quake.
The tsunami alert earlier caused some panic in areas in Cebu, according to reports.
Phivolcs said that as of 2 pm, it has so far monitored 42 aftershocks.
Meanwhile, Malacañang appealed to residents of provinces affected by the strong eartquake to “remain calm and watchful” and to cooperate with their local officials.
Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a statement that while authorities have not ordered any forced evacuation following the quake, Malacanang “implores the people in affected areas to remain vigilant and take the necessary safety precautions.”
“Let us cooperate with government agencies, allow them to do their work, and remain calm and watchful,” Lacierda said.
He said that President Aquino “is being constantly updated of the situation” and has directed Phivolcs to monitor the affected areas for further seismic activity.
“A Level 2 tsunami alert has already been issued by Phivocs requiring residents in affected areas to stay away from the shorelines and to be on alert for unusual waves,” Lacierda said.
He added that Transportation and Communication Secretary Manuel Roxas II has ordered Coast Guard Chief Edmund Tan to prevent fishermen from going out to sea for the duration of the alert.
National Police Chief Nicanor Bartolome has instructed PNP Region VI and VII “to keep the population away from the shoreline, and to ensure the maintenance of peace and order” also during the period.
Lacierda said that the Department of Social Welfare and Development is on standby to provide relief and support to affected residents. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.