MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – The Supreme Court said on Wednesday, September 7, the status quo ante (SQA) order on the burial of the late President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani will be extended until October 18.
The original order for SQA (previously existing state of affairs) – issued on August 23 and served the following day – is scheduled to lapse on Tuesday, September 13, two days after the late dictator’s 99th birth anniversary.
Before this, the family of the strongman, with the consent of President Rodrigo Duterte, had tentatively set Marcos’ burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani for September 18.
The remains of the dictator are in a family mausoleum in his birthplace in Batac, Ilocos Norte.
President Duterte has ordered Marcos’ burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, triggering protests from anti-Marcos groups. Victims of Martial Law then asked the SC to stop the burial.
The SC heard oral arguments on the consolidated petitions on August 31 and September 7. (READ: SC orals on Marcos burial: Issues and answers)
On Wednesday it ordered both sides to submit their memoranda within 20 days.
Duterte has said he will abide by the SC decision. – Rappler.com
(Editor’s Note: In an earlier version of this article, we incorrectly stated that it is former president Marcos’ 99th death anniversary. It should be his 99th birth anniversary.)