After Lawin, state of calamity declared in Cagayan
TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines – The provincial government of Cagayan has declared a state of calamity throughout the province due to the heavy damage brought by Super Typhoon Lawin (Haima).
Lawin hit land in Peñablanca, Cagayan at 11 pm Wednesday, October 19.
The Cagayan provincial information office said Governor Manuel Mamba issued Executive Order No. 8 placing the province under a state of calamity.
The declaration of a state of calamity came two days after the typhoon hit the province, with the victims still clamoring for housing aid and relief goods from government.
Mamba said he already issued the executive order since the provincial board members have yet to convene and act on his recommendation to declare state of calamity.
In his declaration, Mamba said the province has suffered “widespread destruction and substantial damage to properties.”
There are about 75,000 affected families, 34,421 partially blown houses, and 9,306 totally damaged houses.
In the summary report issued by the Cagayan Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC), damage to agriculture is estimated to be worth P6.3 billion.
They have also so far recorded P121-million worth of damage in infrastructure in 6 municipalities. These infrastructure include irrigation systems, farm-to-market roads, government facilities, including school buildings and bridges.
“There are also reports of overpricing or profiteering and hoarding of prime commodities, medicines, and petroleum products,” Mamba said.
Mamba has directed all department heads and concerned offices to implement rescue, relief and rehabilitation, and to provide basic services to affected towns. – Rappler.com