Bicol protesters: Hold Duterte accountable for Marcos burial
ALBAY, Philippines – Leftist organizations led protest marches and rallies in the Bicol region on Friday, November 25, calling for President Rodrigo Duterte to be held accountable for allowing the burial of deposed President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
“Duterte is accountable for the Marcos burial at Libingan ng mga Bayani. We demand the reversal of the burial and for Duterte to once and for all abandon his alliance with the Marcoses. Especially, Duterte must not revive the Philippine Constabulary,” said Vince Casilihan of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan-Bicol during a march in Legazpi City here.
They echoed what allied groups expressed at the grand anti-Marcos rally at the simultaneous rally in Luneta in Manila: for President Duterte to end his alliance with the Marcos family.
Rallies were also set in at least 4 other venues across the region on Friday:
- Daet, Camarines Norte, at the elevated town plaza
- Naga, Camarines Sur, at the Ateneo de Naga
- Sorsogon City, Sorsgon, on the provincial capitol grounds
- Virac, Catanduanes, at the Freedom Park
Protesters marched despite the heavy downpour.
Several schools joined the protest denouncing the burial of dictator Marcos at the Heroes' Cemetery, a campaign promise that Duterte made to the Marcoses, which the Supreme Court upheld.
For highlights of the November 25 rallies across the country, go to Rappler's live blog – Rappler.com
All photos by Rhaydz Barcia
- The night Ferdinand Marcos was buried – again
- Students at anti-Marcos rally: We're part of the fight
- Luneta protesters to Duterte: End alliance with Marcos family
- UP Oblation Run hits Marcos burial at Heroes' Cemetery
- Sideshow: Group goes to Luneta to defend Duterte
- IN PHOTOS: Signs of the times at Luneta rally
From the provinces
- Baguio anti-Marcos rally: 'This will not be the last'
- Ilocanos protest too: 'Marcos is no hero'
- Bishop to Marcoses: Don't use a corpse for ambitions
- Bacolod: Negrenses rally in heavy rain vs Marcos burial
- Ilonggos brave rains to protest Marcos burial
- Protesters in Imelda’s Tacloban: Dig up Marcos remains
- IN PHOTOS: Anti-Marcos rallies outside Metro Manila