JBC nominates 5 names to replace SC Justice Perez
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has arrived at a shortlist of 5 nominees to replace Associate Justice Jose Portugal Perez, who will retire from the Supreme Court (SC) on December 14.
In its session on Friday, December 2, the JBC resolved to submit to President Rodrigo Duterte the following SC nominees:
- Jose C. Reyes Jr - 7 votes
- Apolinario D. Bruselas Jr - 5 votes
- Japar B. Dimaampao - 5 votes
- Samuel R. Martires - 5 votes
- Andres B. Reyes Jr - 4 votes
Article VIII, Section 4 of the 1987 Constitution mandates that a vacancy in the office of SC associate justice be filled 90 days from its occurrence.
During the interview in November, Martires was questioned by the JBC on the propriety of his visit to President Duterte in August, as this affect his independence as justice of the anti-graft court. Martires insisted he and the other justices did not pay a courtesy call to the Chief Executive, but was only invited by his camp to a "private affair."
After the said meeting was reported in the media, Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno in August stressed the need to keep courts independent of other branches of government.
(Read how these nominees fared in the public JBC interviews in November.)
Court of Appeals, Sandiganbayan shorlists
During Friday’s session, the JBC also came up with shortlists for vacancies in the appellate and the anti-graft courts.
Nominated for the post that Court of Appeals Associate Justice Agnes Carpio vacated on December 1 are:
- Jeofrre W. Acebido - 5 votes
- Louis P. Acosta - 5 votes
- Anisah B. Amanodin Umpa - 5 votes
- Angelene Mary W. Quimpo Sale - 5 votes
- Joselito de Jesus Vibandor - 5 votes
- Danilo S. Cruz - 4 votes
The following are the nominees to fill the post vacated by Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Napoleon Inoturan, who retired on August 1:
- Josephine C. Caranzo - 5 votes
- Vilma T. Pauig - 5 votes
- Rodolfo Noel S. Quimbo - 5 votes
- Celso O. Baguio - 4 votes
- Gregorio III V. dela Peña - 4 votes
- Lorifel L. Pahimna - 4 votes
- Ricardo V. Paras III - 4 votes
Under Article VIII, Section 9 of the Constitution, vacated posts in the Court of Appeals, Sandiganbayan, Court of Tax Appeals, and Shari’ah Appellate Court shall be filled within 90 days from the date the JBC submits the shortlists to the Office of the President. – Rappler.com