Marawi death toll: 82 gov't troops killed, 39 civilians slain
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – At least 82 government troops have been killed in Marawi City, where clashes between soldiers and terrorists are still ongoing, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said on Saturday, July 1.
Abella on Saturday gave a breakdown of the death toll in Marawi City, citing latest figures as of 6 pm Friday, June 30:
- Government casualties: 82
- Civilians killed by terrorists: 39
- Terrorists killed: 317
This brings the death toll from the month-long clashes to 438. Government revised down an earlier toll of 44 for civilians killed by terrorists.
"According to SOCO [Scene of the Crime Operatives] reports correction, 'yung ni-report po na previously na 17 cadavers recovered...is actually 12 lang po pala, (the previously reported 17 cadavers recovered is actually just 12)," Abella said during Saturday's Mindanao hour.
The number of terrorists killed rose to 317 from 303 – the figure earlier reported by Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Brigadier General Restituto Padilla on Friday, June 30.
Padilla said that as of 6 pm Thursday, June 29, government troops, local government, and civil society organizations have so far rescued 1,713 civilians. Government has also recovered 382 firearms from terrorists.
Military offensive operations continue in Marawi City, but the AFP said "portions of 4 remaining barangays remain problematic." (IN PHOTOS: Death and destruction in Banggolo, heart of Marawi)
"We wish to reiterate that government's policy not to negotiate with terrorists remains. Hence, any demands made inside Marawi hold no basis," Padilla said in a statement.
He added: "Let us continue to remind the public that the gravity of the offense of all these terrorists and their supporters is immense and they must all be held accountable for all their actions."
Padilla also warned the public of "reported planned attacks" of the New People's Army on "people-oriented programs and infrastructure projects."
"[We] request the citizenry of Mindanao and everyone else in the country to be on the alert and on the lookout. We also appeal to everyone to share information with authorities on suspicious persons and activities in their communities. If we work together, we can prevent this extortion related activities," he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law in Mindanao on May 23, following clashes between the military and the Maute Group in Marawi City. (READ: TIMELINE: Marawi clashes prompt martial law in all of Mindanao)
The provincial government of Lanao del Sur is already finalizing plans about establishing tent cities for internally displaced Marawi residents who may return once the armed conflict is over. – Rappler.com
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.