25 lawmakers endorse impeachment complaint vs Sereno
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – At least 25 members of the House of Representatives on Wednesday, August 30, endorsed an impeachment complaint against Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno.
The complaint, filed by lawyer Larry Gadon, was submitted to the House Secretary General at around 6:30 pm.
It's the first valid impeachment complaint against the Chief Justice. (READ: VACC seeks Chief Justice Sereno impeachment)
Gadon, speaking to reporters, said among the main points of the complaint was Sereno's alleged failure to be truthful in her Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth, tax misdeclarations, and unauthorized expenses.
He also raised Sereno's travel expenses and allowances she had supposedly given her staff. The lawyer also cited Supreme Court resolutions that were questioned by its justices because they did not go through the en banc.
As of filing, the following lawmakers endorsed the complaint:
- COOP NATCCO Representative Anthony Bravo
- Surigao del Norte 1st district Representative Francisco "Bingo" Matugas II
- Cebu 3rd district Representative Gwen Garcia
- Samar 1st district Representative Edgar Sarmiento
- Isabela 1st district Representative Rodito Albano
- LPGMA Representative Arnel Ty
- Pampanga 3rd district Representative Aurelio "Dong" Gonzales
- Malabon City Representative Federico Sandoval
- Davao Oriental 2nd district Representative Joel Mayo Almario
- Antipolo City 2nd district Representative Romeo Acop
- Quezon City 1st district Representative Vincent Crisologo
- Davao City 2nd district Representative Mylene Garcia-Albano
- South Cotabato 1st district Representative Pedro Acharon Jr.
- Camigiun Representative Xavier Jesus Romualdo
- Palawan 3rd district Representative Gil Acosta
- Palawan 2nd district Representative Frederick Abueg
- Zamboanga Sibugay 2nd district Representative Ann Hofer
- Quezon City 2nd district Representative Winnie Castelo
- South Cotabato 2nd district Representative Ferdinand Hernandez
- PBA Representative Jericho Nograles
- Manila City 3rd district Representative John "Yul Servo" Nieto
- Surigao del Norte 2nd district Representative Robert Ace Barbers
- Southern Leyte Representative Roger Mercado
- Davao Occidental Representative Lorna Bautista Bandigan
- Cavite 4th district Representative Jennifer Barzaga
Gadon said he expects more lawmakers to endorse the complaint. At least 3 of those who already affixed their signatures – Abueg, Hernandez, and Garcia – are deputy speakers of the House.
The lawyer was supposed to file the complaint much earlier but had to wait because lawmakers had to go through it and he had to secure documents from the Supreme Court itself.
The High Court had earlier approved requests – from Gadon and other groups – to release documents that would back their impeachment complaints. Gadon said he expects to get more documents, including Sereno's SALNs from 2010 onwards, in the coming days. – Rappler.com