MANILA, Philippines – The Public Attorney’s Office on Wednesday, September 27, filed criminal charges against 15 policemen from Caloocan City who were seen on a CCTV video stealing from a house where there was supposed to be an anti-illegal drug operation last September 7.
The policemen reportedly even used a minor to steal from the house.
The following were charged by the Department of Justice (DOJ) with robbery, trespassing, violations of the anti-child abuse law (Republic Act 7610), and violation of domicile:
- Senior Inspector Warren Peralta
- Chief Inspector Timothy Aniway Jr.
- Police Officer 1 Sherwin Rivera
- Police Officer 1 Louie Serrano
- Police Officer 1 Marvin Poblete
- Police Officer 1 Jay Gabanata
- Police Officer 1 Jaime Natividad
- Police Officer 1 Jaypee Tulay
- Police Officer 1 Ariel Furio
- Police Officer 1 Rohelio Julaton
- Police Officer 1 Joel Leaban
- Police Officer 1 Rene Llanto
- Police Officer 1 Michael Miguel
- Police Officer 1 Francis Ruiz Quidic
- Police Officer 1 Jay-R Sabangan
Two unidentified respondents known only as “John Does” were also included in the complaint.
Closed circuit television (CCTV) camera footage provided by the 51-year-old businesswoman owner of the house in Barangay 188, Tala, Caloocan City showed the policemen – who were not wearing their uniforms – use a bolt cutter to break the lock of the gates.
A minor was with the policemen and was seen taking two watches and a phone from the house. The busineswoman said cash of around P30,000 was also missing.
The raid was apparently conducted without a court-issued search warrant, and no spot report was filed on the raid.
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre ordered the DOJ to look into including a possible child abuse case against the respondents.
The policemen were ordered relieved from duty by Northern Police District (NPD) Chief Supt. Amando Clifton Empiso. – Rappler.com